How can I tell a VIA chipset driver will work w/an Intel 704 mobo?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Wisewiz, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Wavetar has advised me to try the VIA 4-in-1 (old version) driver for my problem with the Win 98 Device Manager (it claims I have no driver installed for PCI Serial Controller). How can I tell that this driver is okay for my mobo?

If it fouls something up, how can I get the previous drivers back?

I am really lost here. I've never even *heard* of the PCI Serial Controller before.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I highly doubt it as Intel based mobos only have Intel, SIS chipsets... VIA is the relm of the AMD

you may need if not installed already need to install the Intel Chipset Drivers http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-009247.htm

the 740 may refer to the onboard i740 graphics that some early intel based mobos had, maybe best to check mobo makers website for Chipset Drivers for that board.

one thing I am wondering about does is there a serial port card added... game controller if so remove it and see if the error goes?

3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

No serial port card, but the Intel drivers added a lot of stuff that probably helps. The Device Manager problem is still there, though. Thanks for the heads up about the right drivers, Halo. I used the chipset identifier to discover that I have one of the 400 family in that old box.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds