How can I watch live Australian TV online from the UK?

Discussion in 'Software' started by stewartb, Jan 12, 2011.

1. stewartb

stewartb Private E-2

I live in the UK and am interested in particular watching live Australian TV re the current floods, is there any way I can do this or is there a block of some sort in watching domestic tv from abroad.
    I'm thinking more of the bigger news stations.

Thanks

Stewart

2. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

stewart, I would google your issue, and go beyond page 1 of the results. Be careful when examining these webtv sites, do NOT install special codecs or media players . You could be inviting malware into your system, but if you are careful and prudent you might find what you are looking for .
    I have done some fairly extensive exploration of internet TV, and know there is quite a bit of legit content, and quite a bit of questionable content as well. Be careful . You didn't mention what OS you are using, but just yesterday, I enabled internet TV in my windows 7 Media Center. I can now search for exactly what im looking for under any or all of a nice variety of topics like movies, news, sports, comedy, etc. . .
    Just be careful !

3. stewartb

stewartb Private E-2

Thanks, I'll look again. So there isn't an international bar to eg someone in the us going onto the bbcs site and watching live tv, I thought that might hve been the main issue.

thanks
    ~Vista by the way

4. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

For news, typically i find replays of earlier news broadcasts. I've never tried finding Australian news, but that is not to say it's not out there .
    I found this : http://watch.squidtv.net/oceania/australia.html
    However, I haven't tried any of the links, as right now by bandwidth is hogged by torrents.

5. stewartb

stewartb Private E-2

Thanks I had a look, maybe recorded clips is all I can get other than non mainstream channels, out of interest here is a link to go straight into live bbc1 which works in the uk. I'm guessing it won't work abroad, do you mind giving it a try.

Thanks for everything

Stewart

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

You didn't post your link. I'm in the US and i have found the BBC usually blocks access to a lot of their content over here but a I'll test your link.

7. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

8. stewartb

stewartb Private E-2

9. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I was watching Family Confidential on ABC from Australia. It said I couldn't watch it from outside of Australia so I found an Australian proxy and entered it into my browser settings.

I wasn't streaming a live broadcast, but that's the only issue I've had so far with watching Australian programming.

10. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

11. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

How funny - I just noticed at the bottom of that bbc broadcast page :
    "Don't forget - to watch TV online as it's being broadcast, you still need a TV Licence."
    When I use proxies, the page says "player loading" and the little spinner goes round, but the video never starts .

12. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

This is a longshot; however it might be worth a try if all else fails:

If you have a friend or relative who has a satellite/cable box they can leave tuned to Sky News, perhaps they could hook a Sling Box or similar device to it so you could watch over the Internet.

13. loywin

loywin Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds