How Cold is Too Cold for CPUs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Goldenskull, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

How cold do you think a CPU temp can get.

Just with a Dual Core AMD Athlon II X2 I was able to push the temp down to 66 °F.

I am trying to make computer even cooler.

This is Over Clocked to 3.68Ghz.Pretty high for a Dual Core.I can not push it past 4Ghz Tried.

Normal Temp right now is 66 °F Barely Hits 85 °F while gaming.

What is your lowest temp.

This is not a water cooled system it is being cooled bye fans.

Water Cooling is kinda risky if you ask me.I do not like the Idea of mixing Liquid and electricity together.Some say it is better.Might as well as use a AC lol and hook it up to the side of computer.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yeah, some folks with lots of money to waste have submerged entire PCs (less hard drives) in liquid nitrogen.

Yeah I agree. While Fahrenheit is commonly used when talking creature (as in humans) comfort, the scientific and technical worlds use Celsius. And when communicating about different technologies, it is always best to use the proper terminologies to ensure understanding.

Having said that,
    Are you sure? I ask because the Laws of Physics do not allow a fan blowing room temperature air onto a chunk of matter to cool that matter cooler than the air temperatures. The "wind chill effect" only affects living tissue - not chunks of silicone, aluminum, copper and plastic.

So for you to have a CPU at 66°F, the ambient (room) temperature the computer is sitting in must be 66°F or cooler. Is it? I doubt it - not in Pennsylvania in July.

So, either you meant 66°C (which is a bit high, IMO) or your monitoring program is not translating the temperature data from the sensor correctly - a common problem. What monitoring program are you using? I like CoreTemp.

I like my temps to be around 50°C but don't start to be concerned until they linger above 60°C when under a load - usually a sign I need to clean the air filters.

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

I use speccy and i think and as far as i know the temps are correct.

I like to use Ferenhite be cause it sounds better to me.

4. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

I understand, but you don't go to a car mechanic complaining the car makes a funny noise when you go above 1026.53YPM (yards per minute) - you say 35MPH (miles per hour) because that is the proper terminology and using the proper terminology avoids confusion.

I use Speccy too. I like all Piriform products. But Speccy takes its reading from the same $.05 sensors other monitoring programs do - and those nickel sensors are about as precise as their price would suggest.

If your room's air temperature is considerably cooler than 66°F, then I can accept those readings for your CPU. But again, if your room temps are above 66°F, there is no way you can cool non-living tissue cooler than the temperature of the air you are blowing on it. That would truly be magical.

Only with alternative "active" cooling solutions (liquid, Peltier, or refrigeration) can you drop CPU temps lower than the ambient temperature.

BTW, what I don't like about Speccy for monitoring temps is there is no real-time monitoring (unless you leave the Speccy window open). For that reason, a monitoring programs that sits in your System Tray, like CoreTemp, next to your clock may be a better option.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds