How did my cat change my resolution?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roddinron, Apr 10, 2005.

1. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

Ya know, it seems like I always have the weirdest questions on this board. Anyway, I was browsing through e-bay, when my cat walked across my desk and stepped on my keyboard, and apperently changed the screen resolution or something, because everything got bigger, and top and side scrollbars appeared and were necessary to view the page. What does my cat know that I don't, as that's a pretty neat trick that I can't seem to duplicate. What key or combo do I need to do and undo this? :confused:
    and stop laughing dammit!

2. Strogg

Strogg 5-Star Freakin' Geek

LOL!!!!

okok, i'll stop. you most likely have shortcut keys on the keyboard that do that. since i don't know what computer you have, i'll just tell you how to do it the "longer" way.

on your desktop, right click on your wallpaper and go to properties. then a new window called "display properties" will show up. click on the tab labeled "settings" and move the resolution slider bar until you find the right resolution. apply and you're set!

3. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

Thanks Strogg, yeah, I know how to do it the LONG WAY, but my cat knows a shortcut that I don't! I sat here and started pushing keys and combos and got a lot of things to happen, but not that. It's kind of neat to be able to do it instantly like that, and it could come in handy at times----but the cat ain't talkin'. Does anyone know how to find out what short cuts are on my pc. I'm running win ME on a machine that started as a Everex, but has had most of it changed out including the motherboard.
    Anyone that's ever been around cats knows that they have a sort of superior attitude, I hate to think they might be right.

4. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

AFAIK, there is no shortcut to change resolution by default. And, I'm not sure you can even make a shortcut that will do it through Windows. But, there may be something with your video card drivers that might allow that. If you can tell us what video card you have and what drivers you are running, it may help...

5. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

my video card is a radeon 9600se driver file 4.14.01.9137. This isn't a problem or anything, I'm just curious as to how she did this---- although, what is it they say about cats and curiosity?

6. N5638J

N5638J Guest

dont know if this will help you but have you tried holding down ctrl and useing the mouse wheel? as you said you was browsing through e-bay that mioght of been what caused it

7. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

Congratulations N5638J, you are at least as smart as my cat, and obviously smarter than me. It works, and it's a pretty cool trick. I never knew I could do that, did the rest of you guys know that? Be honest now. This board is great, you people never cease to amaze me.
    Maybe this will knock that smug look off that damned cats face. I think I'll hide her catnip for a while, just to show her who's boss--- after a day or two, she'll come crawlin' to me.
    Thanks again,
    Ron :D

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I love letting my cat walk on the keyboard its so cute watching the files and menu's open as she tries to work out what keys are,then she squat's and takes a piss and fries the whole thing.LOL :D Only joking but the amount of times I'v heard "Awwe look she's on the keyboard"I still can't bring myself to lift her off it's too funny :D

9. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

Were you using opera?
    Because it only works in opera and looks like it has nothing to do with system resolution settings.
    Just the browser zoom shortcut.

10. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Shoot the cat :p

Hehe just kidding... My cat always does stuff like that as well... she can't get it into her head that I wanna be left alone in front of the computer, she always jumps up on the keyboard whenever she wants attention. Kinda reminds me of my last girlfriend in some way... ;)

Do what I did - take out an old broken keyboard and pour soap all over it. Damn that was a funny sight hahaha

11. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

Believe me Rikky, I don't encourage my cat to be on my desk, I'm a dog man, 2 Great Danes actually, but they never get up on the desk--- Thank God!

12. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

;) Opera allows Zoom of this current Major geek page also.But in internet explorer the text size changes on some pages only. ;)

13. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

kadavill I'm using Mozilla firefox, and yes it's a zoom feature, but isn't that a resolution change? It works here on MG., and everywhere I've thought to try it. It's pretty cool, if you hit a site with hard to read script or something, so if you're using Firefox try it now, it should work. ;)

14. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

nope it just changes the size of the font ... I had forgotten that shortcut, glad I read this thread

15. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

CTRL+ the arrow keys work as well.

16. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

oh yeah, you're right. I just tried it again on e-bay and everything zooms but the pictures. Still pretty cool though, problem is, after this all blows over, I'll forget how to do it-----the '70's were fun though----I think? :confused:

17. roddinron

roddinron Corporal

Triaxx2 that does nothing on mine.

18. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Odd, does on mine. What it's actually doing is adjusting the size of the text, normally found under View>Text size. The IE shortcut is Ctrl+Up, for increase, and Ctrl+Down for decrease.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds