how do computer stores do it...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jedis_Ghost, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Jedis_Ghost

Jedis_Ghost Private E-2

Hey all,

Some of what I am going to say may anger some of the members but lets get passed tthis and find a solution to my question. I have been installing a pirated version of Winxp Pro on peoples computers for awhile now. They all are aware of what is going on and agreed to the work. This is not to justify my actions but at least lets you know that I am not scamming private individuals, just MS. Ok that said...

Recently a new thing has started happening to the installs. In the past after installing the OS I was able to log in to auto update and get all the patches and SPs. Now it seems MS has closed the hole that allowed it to happen and if you DL the "special" installer it looks at the OS and tells you it is illeagle and puts a graphic on the screen. I am sure you are all aware of this.

OK so now I want to go legit and start paying for the software. Of course I pass this cost along to my customers (they wont like it but will have to or go somewhere else) When I look on the web and Ebay and see that a authorised copy of XP home goes for around 100 bucks I wonder if computer stores get it in a bulk discount or something. I do this as a side thing, not a storefront or permanante business so I dont have thousands of dollars up front to purchase multiple licenses. So what are my options? I have three pcs sitting on my desk right now that need a fresh install asap. How can I cheaply and legally install WinXP Pro on multiple computers? or do I have to buy 1 disc for every machine I work on?

Thank you for your time in this matter.

Alex

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You're right; some computer stores have special arrangements with Microsoft. I know that Dell, for example, has about the best prices on MS software that you can find.

There are various licensing options available, however. I think you would be classified as retailer, and your best bet would be to get OEM licenses. We paid $170 CDN for license and media for Windows XP pro this way.

Please see this link for information on Windows licensing options.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Ok.. I have to give an "angry" post...
    Dude, what the h@!! were you thinking? Even approaching a 'customer' with the idea? They could of called the BSA (or worse) and got real $$$ for turning you in. Why risk life & limb for cheap PC repairs?

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It would depend on whether the computers originally came with XP installed, and if the Microsoft sticker with the CD key were on them!:)

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

You will get the "Visual Notifications" which can be switched off if you go to MS and follow the prompts. Be assured even though MS now know these copies are not legit they will still provide essential security patches to ensure there are no vectors in the mainstream that become bots and or zombies that will affect the majority of their legit customers.

MS charges way to much for a mediocre product at best and you may consider using a Linux version in the future.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds