how do connect to the internet with a wireless laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cherahh, May 17, 2009.

1. cherahh

cherahh Private E-2

Just got a laptop, have no clue how to connect to the internet.
    I have an ATT DSL for my desktop, but how do I get online with the laptop?
    It's supposed to be a pre-installed wireless.
    It says it can't find a connection.

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

Hi cherahh,

It would help to have a wireless router installed.

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

Yup- to connect wirelessly, you will need a wireless router like this one. It also has 4 wired ports on the back so you can hard-wire up to 4 other computers to it. You'd plug the router in to your DSL modem, then power up the laptop and it should detect the wireless router. Then connect to it and you're surfing! All routers come with instructions for installing and for setting up security settings and passwords so you can keep your home network private and safe.
    :-D

4. cherahh

cherahh Private E-2

Thanks everyone, I will get one soonest.
    It does connect sometimes, I guess somebody else in the building is logging on at that time.

5. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Yes, someone else most likely has an unsecured Wireless Network in your area. I have done research and have found that in both America and Australia, it is not illegal to connect to and use someone elses Unsecured wireless, it is only illegal if you have hacked it or if you use the other devices attached to the network.

Although, I wouldn't recommend it, once you connect to someone elses network, especially an unsecured one it leaves you very vulnerable to attack.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds