How do I delete files from a previous XP installation?

Discussion in 'Software' started by punchxcore, Nov 15, 2009.

1. punchxcore

punchxcore Private E-2

I reinstalled XP yesterday and I tried to delete the partition that my current copy of XP was on, but it wouldn't let me. It said that it needed it for the temporary files. Later it asked if I wanted to delete it after the installation. I said yes. It never deleted it. That old partition is taking up a LARGE chunk of my hard drive. I have a 120gb hard drive and I only have like 18gb free. I tried to look for the folders to delete, but I couldn't find it. I didn't know if it would be obvious or if there is something I need to look for. I didn't want to go and delete something I shouldn't have. But I need that space freed up.

2. cake

cake Corporal

when doing a "reinstall" it's always best to do a "clean reinstall" by reformatting...depending on exactly what your machine is, this generally means to reformat the larger NTFS partition, NOT the smaller FAT/FAT32 partition...this is what's needed for the temp files.

depending on your vendor, you can get specific instructions for a "clean reinstall" which will mean downloading required/basic drivers, saving to external media (re-writable cd, flashdrive, external usb drive) and installing after you get to your desktop. it does make a difference in which order you install drivers so check your vendor's site for that information...should be included with the "clean install" instructions (it is at Dell which is what i have).

be sure to save anything you don't want to lose (music, documents, installers, email backups, etc.) to the external media, also. i wasn't able to get the File and Settings Transfer Wizard to work, so i did save things manually.

there are more specific things you may need to do so post your details (pc/laptop brand, model, type of install...cd/on board, etc.) so others with more information than i have can help you better.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds