How do I determine a file type?

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jan 11, 2005.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Cutting to the chase, the instructions for a program I have called Xatshow say to find out what CIF is set to and if necessary, change it to Nero (my CD burning software). And if there is no CIF, I am to add that extension and to choose Nero as the associated file type. I thhink I know how to add a file type, but finally my question: How do I find out what my Nero file type is? I open the Nero folder and find scads of stuff that makes no sense to me. I'm using Windows XP Pro. Hope I've given enough info for an answer. Thanks.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Unless I misunderstood, sounds like you need to set .cif files to open with Nero.

So...when it asks what program to use, select a program from the list, or however its worded, and then choose Nero.

3. Earthbound Misfit

Earthbound Misfit Private E-2

If I'm right about what I think you're trying to do, the easiest way would just go into a folder, FILE>NEW>[choose just about anything except folder], then change the extension to .cif for the file. Then try to open it and when asked what program you want to open it with, choose "Nero CD burning software (you might have to browse for it if it's not on the list)

4. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

You're both right about what I'm trying to do.
    Adrynalene: The list doesn't include Nero burning rom. It has three Nero items, but they have to do with creating a "cover."
    Earthbound misfit: How do I create this folder--by going to My Documents, for instance, then using File/New/Folder? You say, "Then change the extension to .cif for the file." What file? Do I put a word document in that new file and change the extension? And how do I find the file extension for that file?
    I appreciate your patience with someone not well-versed in what I'm trying to do. Thanks.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

There should be an option to browse for the program? Then choose nero.exe.

6. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Well, I just can't seem to get things to work for me using Xatshow and Nero. So I'm going to take a different route and look for a replacement for Xatshow. Thanks for your attempts to help me. I'm going to post something with a subject of "What's a good (hopefully free) VCD burning software to use with Nero?"

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds