How do I disable autorun?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Captain Jazz, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Captain Jazz

Captain Jazz Private E-2

Tried gpedit.msc and there's no entry for disabling autorun. I'm running XP Pro SP 3. Thanks!

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Did you check Help and Support in XP? There's a couple of other ways there from the knowledge base, one is a registry edit. Sorry if you've tried that already.

3. Captain Jazz

Captain Jazz Private E-2

I tried Help and Support a few times, but since you asked I gave it one more shot. Still didn't help. But just for the heck of it I Googled "microsoft knowledge autorun disable." Lo and behold an article popped up and even though the Microsoft instructions aren't very clear (surprise, surprise) I was able to change the switch using regedit. Maybe I hit just the right search term, I don't know. I've been looking for this blasted thing for three days. Anyway, It's just a matter of ichanging the 91 default switch to FF. The article told me to type the new switch as 0xFF but that doesn't work. Only the last two characters are changed. Instructions are here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715 for anyone else withe same question.

Thanks Augie!

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

All I did was search for 'autorun' in Help and Support and chose the MS KnowledgeBase results at the bottom, that's if you have web help enabled, there's 15 entries. Anyways, at least I didn't go searching through some old O'Reilly XP books.;) Glad you got it resolved.:cool

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  5. Captain Jazz

Captain Jazz Private E-2

Ha ha! Maybe I overthought it and made it more difficult than it needed to be. Sometimes we're our own worst enemy. In any case you pointed me in the right direction so thanks again. Case closed.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds