How do I disable Photoshop nag about Paging file?

Discussion in 'Software' started by embrya, Nov 9, 2006.

1. embrya

embrya Private E-2

Walter payton's recent forum about the merits of using a page file reminded me of this nag i keep gettin in PS CS. Everytime is start it i get the message about windows not running with a paging file and this won't make ur pc run faster blah blah. is there anyway to disable that crap? i recently upgraded to 2gb memory and even before htat i had 1.5 so i never had an issue with having enough. but one time i did come close to maxing out the 1.5 while using PS.

2. embrya

embrya Private E-2

awwww come on. i know SOMEBODY has to know how to do this!

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Maybe you're gonna have to set up a small pagefile.sys (like 200 megs or so) just to shut up the nag screen. I've got 2 gigs of RAM also, have a 500meg pagefile.sys and only ever use around 100-150 megs, but I am not a heavy system user.
    No hardcore gaming, no CAD, etc. It works for me. Bazza

PS: Hope someone gives you a more scientific answer, as I am interested in actual pagefile.sys size versus THEORETICAL pagefile.sys size.

A little bit of practice outweighs a lot of theory, IMHO. Baz
    ===

4. embrya

embrya Private E-2

yea a few yrs ago i used to actually try that as well. but windows keeps "thinkin for me" and makin the damn thing bigger than what i specified as the max!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

You dont get those nags to turn off in PS sadly if you have disabled the swapfile as PS needs to see one, even if its a token 100mb fixed swapfile ( set min and max to 100 ).

Maybe CS3 will overcome this in the age of 2gb ram systems, but I doubt it as the images in PS are uncompacted into raw format while editing so even small-ish jpegs can be 17mb+ in size, so dependent on what your doing PS or the actual image size, some i use in work can be in excess of 200mb+ in raw form.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

As Halo suggests, set your MInimum and Maximum to the same size.
    I have mine both set to 500 megs, as an example. Bazza

===

7. embrya

embrya Private E-2

@bazza ahah......well i set the min for 200 and the max for 500. so far that seems to work.
    @halo also i only have cs..the original one. i never got cs2. i was lucky the last time i was in iraq to have gotten ahold of a dvd-rom that had the entire suite of macromedia (now bought out by adobe, go figure, lol) and adobe's entire suite of products for 10 bucks. how much better is cs2 than cs?

@halo. i agree, especially now that i'm working with raw images more. before i was only messin with 1-3 mp pix. but you can do a lot more with raw pics which range from 12-25 mb a peice (at least the ones coming from my nikon coolpix 8700 that is)! lol.

thanks for all the help, guys.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi embrya

Their is not much difference in CS over CS2, to warrant buying it, I'd wait for PS CS3.

Glad all is well and yes its much better working in RAW :)

9. embrya

embrya Private E-2

yea i figured there would'nt b that much difference. buyin it? lmao....r u serious! i'm still only amateur (even after taking 8000+ pics over 4 years) so i would NEVER spend $6-700+ on software! i'll dl it first before i go that route.

10. apopanax

apopanax Private E-2

Having seen that warning every day for over a year, i'm pretty certain there is no way to disable that warning. some of photoshop's warning dialogue's have that little "do not show this msg again" checkbox. the absence of that box in the scratch disk warning means you either need to heed the warning or resign yourself to hitting "ok" every time it comes up. (this is silly, but i found hitting enter to close the dialogue rather than using the mouse to click ok made it seem less of a pain in the butt.)
    If you use photoshop somewhat regularly tho, it might be worth your while to heed the warning. that's how i finally got the warning to go away and it made a significant difference in how fast the program ran. what i did was go to a discount electronic store and get 10g drive for like 10 bucks. best buy doesn't seem to have these tiny drives in my experience. a place that sells used equiptment would be your best bet. install it as a back-up drive. then open photoshop and go edit>preferences>plugins/scratch disks. change the first scratch disk to this new seperate drive. i changed the second scratch diskto the primary larger harddrive in case it ever needed more room. (cuz i really don't know how much room it actually uses.)

11. embrya

embrya Private E-2

yea i already gave in. thanx neways though. i run the stupid lil scratch disk crap off of my 500gb maxtor external and i've noticed absolutely no change in how fast the program runs. i think that's just something adobe things is a good thing. i think they can blow it out of their collective asses.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds