How do I disable WinXP

Discussion in 'Software' started by John.M, Mar 6, 2008.

1. John.M

John.M Private E-2

Hey Guys,
    Unusual question. I will ask question first and then explain why afterwards in case no one cares why.

Can I do something to a computer (other than setting a windows password) while I'm using it so that the next time it boots it will not log on and then later do something to it so that it will boot up?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    John

-

Why? When I worked in another city, I developed a serious relationship and bought a desktop system for her (in the living room) and her children and left one of my laptops for her to use for us to chat etc., thru yahoo/skype. I did this with the expectation that things would work out and we would eventually be together.

The relationship is on the skids and I would like my laptop back. I never "gave" the laptop to her. It was clear I was just letting her use it for us to communicate since I would be gone for awhile.

The relationship is not totally dead so I don't want to ask directly for the laptop yet but I would like to get it back until I know for sure what is going to happen.

I have remote access to the machine when it's on so I can get to it and I even know how to set a windows password through a back door. I would like to (if possible) delete some kind of key file that if missing the system won't boot. She will then say something is wrong and I will tell her that she will need to send me the laptop so I can figure out what is wrong with it. Once I have the machine, if I could restore the file or settings I could then boot it up or I could just resinstall the OS if necessary.

Sorry for the drama. I already feel like a chump since I have literally spent thousands of dollars on this person without out hardly anything in return (hardly even a thanks)....

2. John.M

John.M Private E-2

That's a fair answer. I understand anyone's hesitancy. But she does know that I have access to the computers remotely so it's no secret about that part.

You are probably right that I should just chalk it up to experience. I can still ask for the computer and if she refuses to send it to me then I can chalk it up to experience at that point and let it go.

Thanks for your reply Mark.

3. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

> I have remote access to the machine when it's on so I can get to it and I even know how to set a windows password through a back door. I would like to (if possible) delete some kind of key file that if missing the system won't boot. She will then say something is wrong and I will tell her that she will need to send me the laptop so I can figure out what is wrong with it. Once I have the machine, if I could restore the file or settings I could then boot it up or I could just resinstall the OS if necessary. <

Hi John,

If you paid for the computer yourself (and have the sales receipt for it) and you can prove that the laptop was not intended as a gift, my advice would be to ask for it back and should your former partner refuse; file a complaint w/ the police and take her to court.

If you have the sales receipt and she has no way if "proving" this expensive laptop was indeed a lavish gift; I cannot see how you could lose in court. My guess is that this situation would be treated in court in the same manner as if she took off in your car or truck (which was in your name) after she broke up with you - and then refused to give it back - claiming that you always let her use it before that time and gave it to her "as a gift."

I can understand your feeling used or hurtful and perhaps a bit angry about the demise of your relationship with this person. However should you choose to damage her computer "on purpose" for the sole intention of getting it back; you could very well be the one being sued... Not only that, but I'm quite sure that you could even be held financially liable for a hefty sum in compensatory damages; should you go through with this - and in doing so damage or destroy any/all of her personal files.

While there may or may not be a way of doing what you want to accomplish here; should you discover some way of doing this - I would most definitely NOT recommend going about retrieving your laptop via such a fraudulent and possibly even criminally negligent manner.

It would be; to say the least; incredibly deceptive to generate a situation under such false pretences, whereupon you damage this computer remotely, in order to manipulate your former relationship partner into returning the computer so that you can "fix" the damage that YOU clearly created - and then simply keep the computer for yourself.

I mean it might seem like the right thing to do NOW, while you're still hurt and angry and feeling used. But just for a moment here - imagine yourself in front of a judge explaining that rather than first asking for the laptop back; you deduced that it would be easier (rather than confronting her directly) to disable the computer remotely in the hope that your former partner would accept your benign offer to fix it - only to keep the computer to yourself!

I believe your chances would be much better if you just ask for it back and then take her to court if she refuses.

Good Luck!

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Ask for it back. If you were to hack in and make it unbootable, she might ask someone else to fix it. There is no guarantee that she'd call on you to fix it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds