How do i do a fresh install with no disk ??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MadEddi, Mar 3, 2006.

1. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Recently my PC got infected, causing security(norton 05) messenger and hotmail to be disabled. Access to websites of anti-virus companies was blocked also. I have rectified the 'redirected hosts' and removed all infection although i no longer have a working security set up, which came with PC when i bought it 2nd hand.
    I don't have a windows(i am running xp home legit) disk and unfortunately there is no restore point prior to the infection. I have backed up all my data and consider doing a fresh install but am at a loss for what to do...

If anyone has advice to offer, i will keep an eye on this thread regularly, incase more information is needed.

2. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Welcome to Majorgeeks, you have come to the right place. Without the XP CD you can't do a fresh install. Visit the Malware Forum and start by reading an following the Sticky to the letter. You can download the reqd tools to a USB or copy to a CD to get them to the infected PC.

3. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

What kind of computer do you have?

Is the OEM COA Sticker on it and is it readable.

Some computers have a service partition on them to do a factory reinstall of everything that was on the computer when it was new.

4. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Yes the sticker is on the side, yea it is readable. It is a Packard Bell. Its 6 months old approx. re: service partition, i think it has a 'system' area partitioned of about 5-6 gig. Could i re-install off that ?? I don't even have a recovery disk, i have spent hours going through Microsoft site pages looking for an answer.

I have removed all malicious software. Currently have AVG Free and Spybot regularly updated and scanned.

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

If you bought from Packard, you should be able to contact them and have them reinstall for you, but it would require you to send them the computer.

When you say a messenger, and Hotmail were disabled, what exactly do you mean? As well, what Malware was disabled?

6. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Understand what you say about Packard, but its not really an option for me.

My PC was infected with a worm/trojan/virus. Not sure how to define it, but it used the csrss.exe to disguise itself, so i had 2 of those apps running. When i say disabled i mean no longer function. I believe this was one of the first things the infection did and getting things back to normal is beyond me at the moment.

As far as i know the infection was called Chod or Beagle, possibly a variation of.

7. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

I'm loosing track of what the Goal is here... Are you just trying to get your "security setup" back now that are free of infection?

If you've had this for 6 months and lost your Norton don't even bother going back. The AVG your using is fine. Check out Zone Alarm for a Firewall. Down load the free Spyware apps, all are avail here a MG.

8. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

I have removed all infection, but it is still not working 100% properly. Messenger and Hotmail do not work at all since the infection. What should i do to get my PC back to normal...

9. King Edward

King Edward Private E-2

10. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Thanks anyway, but i've already spent hours doing similar stuff. My PC is uninfected, 99% sure.
    Now as i am running out of patience, i am considering borrowing my friends XP Home disk and using the code on the side of my PC. Then at least i know everything will work, i already have ALL my data on disks, ALL the free malware and protection software on a disk. A fresh install seems the most hassle free way of getting my PC back to normal. To top it all off, i am unable to update AdAwareSE, Microsoft Defender and CounterSpy.

11. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Call Packard and find out from them how you can reinstall to factory original. If the system is only 6 months old, they either would have given you 1 or more recovery CD's or they have a partition on the HD that will do a restore for you but you need to know how to access it.. Packard Bell would definatly know what to do to reinstall.

If they sold you the computer with Windows on it then they are obligated to provide you with a way to restore it regardless of why you want to reinstall.

12. MadEddi

MadEddi Private E-2

Well, that simple bit of advice worked a treat. Everything is back to normal. Just got some useless AOL bit n pieces to remove. Also i intend to remove Norton as i have no faith in it, and the free programs are a lot easier to configure for a home network IMO.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds