How Do I Fix A Laptop That Will Not Turn On After Water Got Into It ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by michael robinson, Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael robinson

michael robinson Corporal

How do I fix a laptop that will not turn on after water got into it because my sister have got water into her laptop and I have took the battery out of it and flip the laptop over ?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You don't. :(

3. michael robinson

Ok.

4. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

I spilled water over my desktop. I left it for a few days after trying to dry it. I was lucky.
    Some people say that you should put it in a bag and cover it with uncooked rice. Then leave it for a week.

Do take the battery out and wait...
    Good luck,
    s.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Take the battery out and flip it over.
    Stick it in a bag with rice or better yet, with a bunch of desiccant.
    And wait... ...at least a week.

If still no luck, then you don't fix it. The water most likely caused a, or several electrical shorts and permanently damaged the motherboard. Remove the hard drive and install it as a secondary (not boot) drive in to another computer, or into an enclosure attached to another computer and copy off any files she does not want to lose - assuming the drive still works.

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As long as you do not attempt to charge, re-install battery, then leave it as mentioned, by both Digerati, and Stephan_16.
    I have brought back to life many such laptops, in this way.
    If you have n airing cupboard, where you can leave it for a few of days, I have found that to work-The rice trick I have nottried, but it is often mentioned around the web.
    Mostly, patience is the word - I would also remove the ram, as well as the hard drive, as water can stay behind it - but hold ram, and hard drive by the edges, and not the flat areas, and if possible, - be careful to avoid static on them. Leave any removable covers off to help airflow.

7. Digerati

I have never seen an "airing cupboard" here in the US. But I did when I lived in England.

What you can try is removing every cover and open every cavity, then blast a desk fan across the notebook for several days.

baklogic likes this.
  8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

That's the general idea - then , perhaps a lot of luck...............

9. michael robinson

She got it fixed .

10. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

What did she have done? This may help someone else who got water spilled on their laptop.

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Unless Michael robinson comes back, I assume that they did as Digerati, Stephen_16, and I suggested.
    Taking the battery out, removing covers etc: -airing cupboard, rice......
    I have rescued several, and those methods often gave fruit- main thing is not to turn it on until sure it is dry (works for phones, too- but lady luck comes into it, too.

12. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

michael robinson said SHE got it fixed. He didn't fix it. We don't know what SHE had done.

13. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Perhaps Michael robinson will remember to let us know

14. michael robinson

She did got it fixed she have send her laptop back for repair and she got it back yesterday .

baklogic likes this.
  15. TimW

Stay in school, Michael.

16. michael robinson

Anyway I don't go to school no more .

17. Digerati

Neither do I but that does not stop me from always learning! :)

18. michael robinson

I do sports that how I learn .

19. TimW

Did you mean to say:

She got it fixed. She sent her laptop back for repairs and she got it back yesterday.

Go back to school.

20. michael robinson

Ok what ever how will I go back to school but I am done with school I only do sports now .

21. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Are you telling them you've graduated from high school?

22. michael robinson

Yes.

23. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I think people should chill out a bit and it's none of our business whether Michael goes to school or not. Noses kept out is always best. None of us are social workers or educational psychologists and if we were we wouldn't be sticking our advice in the face of a teenager on a public forum. In comparison to many posters on MG twice or three times or more Michael's age he communicates here well and courteously which many other posters would do well to practice.

Eldon, baklogic and michael robinson like this.
  24. michael robinson

Thank you.

25. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Michael- just keep trying, and appreciate that comments seem to have been made in your interests - although I agree with Max, I hope you keep asking the questions, and with luck, the communication skills will get better - practice makes perfect. I have seen many posts where the English is not completely correct, and we have to understand that English is expressed and interpreted differently world wide.
    The way to learn is to get answers to your questions, and I can see that is what you are doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds