How do i flash Hp dv6-2010sa laptop with ausb thumb drive.

Discussion in 'Software' started by setbythis, Mar 25, 2012.

1. setbythis

setbythis Private E-2

I have a HP Pavillion DV6-2010sa laptop thats running windows 7.

No picture display when i turn on the laptop, just caps lock and num lock LED flash twice.

I looked this up and it means corrupt BIOS.....

Now in order to fix this i need to flash my BIOS using a USB thumb drive ( pressing and holding Windows Key + B on start-up)

The file providied by HP only extracts into a WinFLash.exe file the .FD file or .BIN file does not extract.

Where can i get these files? and what will i have to name the .FD file in order to get the thumb drive to flash the BIOS.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!:)

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I didn't have much luck in helping in this thread so there is some risk in trying to flash the BIOS.

You can get to the FD file by extracting the winflash.exe which will give you the 3635F13.FD file. But from what I read holding Windows key + B only tries to read the BIOS file in the hidden HP_Tools folder on your HD.

Where are you reading instructions referring to the .FD file?

3. setbythis

setbythis Private E-2

Thanks for the reply.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/3977899-post3.html - This is where i got this info from..... i just can not find out what i`am supposed to name the .FD file.

Damn HP laptop

4. sach2

I'm on my way out for the evening so I can't go into any details, I'll read up on that thread much later tonight.

Had you tried just holding windows key +B to when booting as per HP to see if it finds an old version of BIOS?

I had glanced at the notebook review thread and it looks like you may need to name the file according to the platform ID. Your platform ID has multiple possibilities.

So that would mean making 12 copies of that FD file and renaming to 3635.bin and 3635.rom, 3636.bin and 3636.rom ect.
    Putting them all on the USB and hoping if will find one of them acceptable.

Now, like I said I only glanced at that thread and there are many pages more I could read. I did see in your platform.ini that it states the BIOS file is in the format xxx.xxx but I am uncertain if it means that the first part can only be three letters. I'll read through the thread later and see if I can narrow anything down or be more certain. You may want to wait or see if you can find confirmation.

5. setbythis

setbythis Private E-2

Thanks so much for your help i will keep trying, have a nice evening.

Cheers

6. setbythis

setbythis Private E-2

I got my thumb drive to work, everything looked fine ....my laptop beeps every 12 seconds the light on my thumb drive is flashing showing that its working... then after about a minute..the thumb drive stops flashing & there are no beeps. The laptop doesn't restart like its supposed too, it just shows the blinking LED`s as usual, i have tried different BIO`s versions but to no avail...

Any ideas?

Thanks

7. sach2

Tonight ran later than I anticipated. I will read through that thread tomorrow.

I just noticed that the FD file is named 3635F13.FD which would seem to indicate that your platform ID is 3635, so I will concentrate on finding possible names using that number as the probable base name.

8. setbythis

setbythis Private E-2

I am still trying to sort this out.....the memory stick reads the file (LED on memory stik bliks fast) and the computer beeps every 12 seconds for about a minute then....nothing..the computer doesnt restart (like its supposed too) tried 2 different memory stik and still no good. Any ideas?

9. sach2

I didn't find any threads related to your specific model. I did realize that in my naming suggestions I omitted possibly naming the the six possible filenames with a .FD ending.

So
    3635.FD
    3636.FD
    3637.FD
    3638.FD
    3639.FD
    363A.FD

I am curious if it is finding a "good" filename. If you try the win +b with a USB inserted which contains no files on it, do you get the same number of flashes/beeps? If the timing is the same with no files on the USB, then we can guess that it has never found the appropriate file/filename.

10. setbythis

setbythis Private E-2

I`am wondering if there is a different .FD file i could use/try, there is lots of HP dv6 laptop models just wondering if any (a big IF) might work with my laptop....?

I have also noticed that if i open the 3635F13.FD file in notepad it shows: 옂逷駿¢郰飿¢哯ソ郰쿴¢ワ囦ミ郿賷ﻠ╴勤菵ミ郿賷ﻠ♴勤菵ミ ect..

But other HP dv6 .FD files show: Äš÷gàÿôAàðÓŸP; `3 `3÷fàeôtð£ÿÔð@_ïdûp/úÎàD€ðàTûðàTýðàDð ect...

I know its a long shot but maybe the laptop doesnt understand it (with it obviously being in a different language?) ...Never get a HP laptop total nightmare...lol

Thanks for the reply!

11. strudders88

strudders88 Private E-2

Ive been told you cant just rename the fd file you have to open the fd file with hex editor and then save as .bin file to make a bin file version!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds