How do I format my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by NeilG, Nov 13, 2004.

1. NeilG

NeilG Private E-2

Hi
    I have backed up everything I possible can or want to and I am now ready to Format my hard drive.
    I am currently running windows ME and wish to install XP.
    I have a disk with XP all ready and waiting but I am not sure how I go about wiping all the junk I have accumulated over the last 4 years in order to start afresh.
    Is there a walk through or tutorial, which anyone can recommend to help me through this daunting process?

Neil

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

3. Cobra

Cobra Private First Class

When you boot up into the Windows XP Setup off the CD, you will the option to format the hard drive when you select the drive or partition that you want to install it to. You will have the option to keep the current file system and install to it, or you can format it with either a FAT32 or NTFS file system. You have atleast 2 partitions to have the option to format FAT32. You probably want to format with NTFS due to security reason, etc...

Note: If you are dual-booting with an OS such as Windows 98, or Windows 95, those OS's will not be able to read or write to them. Nothing under Windows 2000 or ME will be able to read or write to it.

4. NeilG

NeilG Private E-2

Thanks for the advice/help
    I will let you know how I get on :)

Neil

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds