How Do I Get Rid of Dual Boot Option in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by axelbrora, Sep 7, 2008.

1. axelbrora

axelbrora Private E-2

Hi,

I have recently carried out a clean install of Vista Home Premium after problems with trying to recover XP.

All is well now except that I now get a dual boot option at start up which takes 30 seconds to default to Vista, unless I am sitting there and press enter.

XP is nowhere on my computer although I have 5Gb of unalllocated disk space on a separate partion where it once tried to recover, but I can live with that at the moment.

I can reduce the time out in msconfig to 3 seconds, but that takes me to "Selective Start Up" mode which is not recommended and is not really the answer.

This problem used to be edited out in win.ini or boot.ini, but I have read that these do not exist in Vista.

Any help would be appreciated.

Axel

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, BCDEdit is a real pain unless you want to learn it. What chaim suggested is very easy to use, just a couple of clicks needed to get rid of the XP entry, reboot and problem solved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds