How do I go from NTFS to Fat32?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hudini, Apr 27, 2003.

1. hudini

hudini Private E-2

I need to change a computer from win2k back to win98, but the win2k is in ntfs. I need to get it back to fat32 but none of my boot disk will boot the computer.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

2. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

I know of two ways.... reformat with FAT32 (this WILL LOSE anything that is on the drive)

the only other way I know (There may be others!) is with something like Partition Magic (I use this program religiously!!)

You can convert back and forth while keeping all of your data..

Not Free, but I feel it was worth the money even for a stingy ba$tard like me!!

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Goto bootdisk.com and download a Win98 bootdisk and boot withthe floppy, then use Fdisk to delete the primary partition and reformat, it will then be Fat32. Then you can reinstall Win98

I hope you have backups of all important data!

4. hudini

hudini Private E-2

The problem is i have great bootdisk for win98 all the tools you could ever need on them but it is not booting from them.

A: drive is first boot I have checked that, but is not reading the floppys.

It is a new floppy drive and the win98 bootdisk works flawlessly on many other computers.

So I am stummped as to why it will not read in a win2k computer.

5. hudini

hudini Private E-2

common somebody knows the answer to this

6. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

Is the floppy hooked up properly??? all cables hooked up properly..

no ... really.... TRIPLE check that all cables are hooked to the floppy....

7. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

If you boot from a floppy with a 98 bootdisk, you wont see NTFS, only FAT. So, once you boot with that floppy, that drive will be invisible. In other words, NTFS can see FAT, FAT can not see NTFS. So, your great tools may not work for you. As for why your floppy wont read, I cant tell from here, sounds like you got it in order. Since its a new floppy, I would confirm the power cable is on properly, though the light would be on solid if it was not, and be sure cables plugged in tight, or replace the cable.

Maybe some of the demos here will allow you to format it, not sure though, there is usually a limitation of some sort, not sure if there is a demo out there that will allow you to convert.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=1145&cat=8
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=2812&cat=8
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=3462&cat=8
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/article.php?sid=3291&cat=8

Your best bet is to go with the first answer and get Partition Magic. Other option might be to stick with NTFS and install XP.

8. hudini

hudini Private E-2

I know the floppy works I used it yesterday. I guess that leaves me with making a new bootdisk and hoping thats the problem lies within the other floppys.

Thanks guys and/or gals

9. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

So what's the problem again?

It sounds like you're trying to boot with your floppy, but the PC is letting you. Are you booting to a command prompt, or not? If not, your problem is completely unrelated to your NTFS partition.

If no command prompt/no floppy boot is your problem, check your BIOS settings to be sure that your system is checking the floppy before it checks your HDD. I'm assuming you've done this already because of one of your previous posts. Next, I'd try booting a different floppy. If that didn't work, I'd try a bootable CD or try a different floppy drive, different floppy cable or different floppy power connector, because there is no reason for the behavior you're descibing to happen if everything is configured correctly.

As for converting an NTFS drive to FAT32, apart from commercial software (PartitionMagic) there isn't any way to do it and preserve your data. If you don't care about your data, you can do the following:

Use your 98 Boot disk and format your C: drive. This should work, but if your NTFS drive is not on a DOS partition (which is possible) you'll need to use FDISK to delete the partition, create a new DOS partition, reboot (very important!), and then format the clean partition.

10. Major Attitude

Pretty much everything you said has already been said above. He is NOT booting from 98 boot disk and formatting an NTFS drive. FAT boot disk will not see an NTFS drive. I believe he already knows all of this from reading his post, he seems quite knowledgeable.

11. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

If he really has tried everything I suggested in my third paragraph, then I need more information. Because then what he's describing is a hardware failure, not a formatting or boot problem.

12. Major Attitude

Were with you.

13. hudini

hudini Private E-2

Sorry for not getting back till today.

Well it seems that the computer gremlins have been at it hard.
    Both of my win98 bootdisk which I used prior to working on the win2k computer died. Somehow they both got formated ( I blame the Gremlins for this )

Had to build another 2 win98 bootdisk.

Thanks for the help all, sorry about not geting back sooner and taking up your time.

14. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

15. Major Attitude

No, many use floppies still to boot their computers for emergencies. Frankly, XP is the first OS I have run that makes it easy to boot from CD, format and carry on. I dont know anyone without a floppy drive and some floppies yet that I can think of. Many diagnostic tools fit nicely on floppy and work well too. Its not that CD isnt a better way, its just many are comfortable using the good old floppy.

16. DavidGP

To add to MA's post, even with XP being able to boot from CD.... IF you are a user of RAID/SCSI and some other hardware devices you still need the good ol' Floppy to install the hardware drivers.

Side Note: You need the reflexes of a cat to hit the F6 button when installing Raid on XP :D

17. hudini

hudini Private E-2

Common these disk worked less than 24hrs earlier.

If i wanted a flame I would have asked for it.

Jezz I mean how many tiems have you used a floppy that worked then a few hours later had it not working.

As long as floppys are taken care of they rarely just die like these did.

I mean what the hell are the odds that 2 win98 floppys die at the exact same time?!!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2003
  18. DavidGP

Flames where? ( runs to get flame proof shorts )

Is you Floppy led coming on when the disk is inserted?
    ( slightly off topic but just a thought which I guess would have been one of the first things you checked )

Is your W2K CD bootable? if so then read this PAGE at MS and take particular notice of the section headed Removing NTFS Drives

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds