How do i install linux in my system

Discussion in 'Software' started by aditichauhan, Jan 21, 2009.

1. aditichauhan

aditichauhan Private E-2

How do i install linux in my system which is already have windows xp.

please tell me step by step.

Thanks

2. FighterJetMom

FighterJetMom Private First Class

Have you looked at this sticky at the top of this subforum? It seems pretty step-by-step to me.

3. KingSteve

KingSteve MajorGeek

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

You need to decide what kind of Linux distribution to use.

Some common starter distros are

Ubuntu

Linux Mint

Mandriva

Each of the above you can then download a "Live" CD and place that in your CD drive and Windows Explorer will find the cd and you will be able to "Try it before you break it." If you cannot find the CD with Windows Explorer, you may need to reboot with the CD in the drive. At Boot, the system will find the CD and will boot to a "live" session. You will have limited accessibility and the system may run slow. Should you find you like what you see, there will with most distributions have an "install" icon on the desktop. Click it to install and in a few short steps you will have a system that will have dual boot ability. Should you NOT like what you see, you reboot and when prompted you remove the CD, and you return to XP.

5. mauiITgal

mauiITgal Private E-2

What are you installing on!? server, desktop, laptop, iPhone !?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Linux on an iPhone do expand on this please as I have an iPhone 3G.

7. jackragan

jackragan Private E-2

Halo:

Um - I have 63 gig on my hard drive set aside for Linux installation When the best one comes out that can be used by the average guy. I have been notified that the latest update has been configured by the people at this site:
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=53076.0

Two questions:
    1. The only Linux I have used so far is Big Daddy on a CD. I don't believe I have anything on my hard drive as of now. Is this one the one I should download and use on the spare section of my hard drive?

2. What is the difference between Linux and Ubuntu? Is Ubuntu a form of Linux or is it part of Linux or does it have nothing to do with Linux?

3. (OK. I lied) If Linux and Ubuntu are two separate operating systems, which do you advise I use?

Thank you,
    Jack

8. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i have used pclinuxos - its very nice and easy to use, but it didn't have the programs i wanted - so i went back to its 'parent' version of linux, mandriva:drool

linux is just the kernel (heart) of the various flavours of linux, the rest is just clothing and named something (mandriva:drool, ubuntu, suse, fedora, knoppix etc)

choosing a linux distro is dependant (in a fashion) to your needs and your hardware,

i have never had much joy in installing ubuntu on my system, pclinuxos ran mighty fine on my daughters pc with 256mb ram and 1gb cpu - it absolutely flew on my system (2gb ram, 3.4 prescott), mandriva was very reluctant to work on my daughters but my system is ample,

best bet is try a live cd (pclinuxos from your link has a live cd), there are a few to download and test

http://www.livecdlist.com/

just download the .iso and burn to cd, reboot with the cd in the drive (making sure your boot order in the bios is set to boot cd before hdd), wait for it to load and of you go,
    when you have finished shut down and the cd should (may) auto-eject,
    boot back normally and windows will never know its had a rival on

9. candive

candive Corporal

If you choose Ubuntu use 8.04 is is the most stable so far.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Jack, you know I told you I'd inform you when the next stable edition of PCLinux came out. It hasn't. There was no 2008 because Texstar was ill then hurricane Ike hit and he lost a lot if not everything.
    So far in 2009, there have been a few betas and one release candidate. Trust me, you do not want to try those; you'd just be wasting CDs in burning.

11. bullchit

bullchit Private E-2

The new PClinuxos came out yesterday 2009.1

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds