How do I know if I'm utilizing both cores in my dual core computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by ColonelAngus, Sep 5, 2011.

1. ColonelAngus

ColonelAngus Beefy

In task manager it only shows one graph for CPU usage. I'm suspicious that I'm only using one core.

How can I tell if I'm using only one core or two cores?

Thanks.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

That's strange as it should show all cores, 8 in my case.:confused Run CPU-Z and look at the bottom right of the main page. Have you looked in the BIOS to see if there's a setting there to enable the second core. Did you change CPU'S?

Look to your motherboard's site and see if there's a BIOS update that pertains to you in the change logs. There's obviously something wrong here. Start with CPU-Z and we move on from there.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I have used CPU-Control at http://majorgeeks.com/CPU-Control_d5875.html in my dual core Toshiba Win 7 Ultimate OS laptop for ages, from XP onwards.
    Set it to Automatic and forget about it. I do :cool

Bazza

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Post a screen shot of the Performance tab in taskmgr. BTW, you never stated what OS that you are using.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds