How do I make a Vista Beta 2 bootable DVD disk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by xboomerx, Jun 7, 2006.

1. xboomerx

xboomerx Private E-2

How do I make a Vista Beta 2 bootable DVD disk?
    I have downloaded Vista Beta 2 as an ISO file.
    en_windows_vista_beta2_x86_dvd.iso ---- 3.276 GB

I am running Windows XP pro with 1.8GB Pentium 4,
    512MB ram, and 120GB drive.

Thank You
    Bob Whitman
    xboomerx@yahoo.com

2. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You can use a program like Nero, select burn image, insert dvd, and your off. If you have a cd\dvd writing program, look for burn image option. You will need a DVD for it.

http://majorgeeks.com/Nero_Burning_Rom_d633.html

Anyone else wondering, MS made Vista beta 2 available to the public today

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Thanks for the info!

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Maybe he got it from Connect like I did though it was an invite from Wendy at MS. Good luck on trying to grab it from MS, Of course they're being hammered right now.

6. xybertech

xybertech Private E-2

download any cd burning programs like Nero Premium Edition, it focuses all about DVD burning etc. Hope it will help.

7. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

This is just a tip, Vista ISOs... if you dont want potential install problems and file copy errors durning the install, best to burn at x2 speed, ok longer but more likely not to fail with copy error.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  9. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Cheers, Halo! I'll keep that in mind if I ever get a freaking copy...:mad:

heh, I'm sure I will one way or another...heh, we just purchased 10 XP licenses with upgrade advantage! Cheap, too! Less than half the price XP is going for alone in Future Shop (not that this says alot!)

10. Major Attitude

Attached Files:

11. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

LOL I like your time left Major Attitude. I've only got around 100 hours to go. :D :D Damn dialup! :eek: .27% so far.

12. Major Attitude

I just got Business class Road Runner, I had the gamer service, but this was only 10 more a month, so it pays off constantly with all my uploading and 3 gigs in an hour doesent suck either :)

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

14. Major Attitude

Thanks, I am taking my cape off as we speak, it was starting to itch ;)

15. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ahhhh, good advice! I just tried to burn my ISO at 16x (I got impatient looking for the speed setting in ImgBurn), and I made myself a nice beer coaster....:rolleyes:

16. DavidGP

Yep Mada, I know that feeling well, I did at least 4 coasters ( so been their, do that and have the T-shirt ), when I first started on the beta's, so did many others of the test team.. until suggestions were burn at no more than x2/2.5. I do also use DVDRWs, they seem to install the OS slower from them but at least you can wipe them and start again ;)

Worst one was the x64 version of build 5381 which needed a dual layer DVD as it was 100mb-ish over the capacity of a SL DVD, couldnt get that one to install so blew 3 DL DVDs at £5 each!!!

17. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Ouch! I was just about to try burning the x64 version on a SL, too! Did oyu ever get the x64 version working? Heh, on the plus side, MS goofed for me! I got 2 product keys! I think that should be enough to have a nice mock network....

18. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Oh weird! I just got the x64 version to fit on a single layer disc... wonder what happened for you? The MSDN version is slightly bigger?!?!!? :confused:

19. DavidGP

Oh sorry that episode was with an earlier x64 version 5381 the latest one you have now is smaller and will fit on a SL DVD, yes I have sucessfully installed two of the 3 x64 versions I have tested... the latest installed fine, sadly it didnt support my sound card again, so I bug reported that and installed the x86 ( 32bit ) version which I know supports my sound card.

The 64bit version of IE7+ works really well, downside to x64 at present, lack of software and driver support.. but thats not an MS issue, devs have to get finger out and release some updates!!! BUT try it out you maybe very lucky mate :)

You'd have been ok as each key allows you to install Vista on 10 PCs with same key, so you can now do 20 ;)

Do also Activate your copy of Vista within 14 days as that automatically will register you to recieve RC1 when its released.

also do checkout the http://windowsbeta.microsoft.com/vista/intro.aspx Vista Beta2 Senario Voting Site as not only does it give feedback to MS but also allows you to find some of the applications and functions Vista has without trial and error ;)

Edit: noticed your post, yes the version I mentioned was only available to beta testers, we were not a happy bunch when most couldnt install it so the size was shrunk again for Beta2, the problem was one of adding more drivers to the ISO, but they now have taken them from the ISO and popped them onto WU :)

I get my versions from MS Connect http://connect.microsoft.com/

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  20. ICeMaN

ICeMaN Master Sergeant

Thanks for the heads up :D Just got it installed, and so far works pretty well, but haven't even begun to stress it out yet. The only bit of hardware that it didn't get on the install was my sound controller.

21. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hey Halo, do you know how to disable this program control that keeps popping up? I don't want to be prompted every time I want to see the computer management console, or the control panel... its a bit of a pain.

22. DavidGP

If by Program Control, you mean the Welcome Center console, then yes at bottom of the window is a checked "Run at Startup" option uncheck it.

Ahhhh ( coffeee has hit home ) I think I may have what you mean its the UAC ( User Account Control ) security check?

Yes, their are a few ways to do this, easy two are.........

1. enter msconfig ( you will get another of those popup warnings ) > Click Tools tab > scroll down until you see Disable UAP and highlight it > click Launch ( you can re-enable it this way too )

2. Open Control Panel > Click under User Accounts and Family Safety ... click Add or Remove user accounts > Highlight your account ( use arrow up down keys if the account is not highlighted ) > and click Goto the Main User Accounts Page ( its at bottom of page ) > Click Change Security Settings > untick Use User Account Control ( UAC ) > OK

Note this a a vital part of the new security built into Vista to help stop the likes of malware attacks.. however at this point its a PITA, with all the popups even tho you have admin rights... the amount of UAC/UAP popups are due to become alot less in the next builds RC1 etc, so they will not be as evident as they are now.

Some info you may like
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d9.mspx

and the MS UAC teams Blog I follow
    http://blogs.msdn.com/uac/
    they have nifty video on Friday 9th June entry ;)

if none of the above post a screenie of the page, then we can go from their :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds