How do i move everything but xp to a new hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apopanax, Apr 17, 2005.

1. apopanax

apopanax Private E-2

i was using a 20 gig hard drive as my sole hard drive. when it got full, i purchased an 80 gig hard drive and set it up as a new volume. initially i had planned to move everything to the new HD and use the 20 gig one as a scratch disk for photoshop. a friend told me that he had also had two hard drives but uses the small one only to store/run the operating system. thus speeding up the OS and giving photoshop more space to use. (we both spend the majority of our computer time in photoshop, so it's a priority)
    i figured at first that i should just copy and paste all my files and settings to new HD "E:" and reinstall OS on original "c" drive. but i don't really know how i would redirect OS to look for everything on the other drive. (settings, music files etc.) actually the first thing i tried was the XP "files and settings transfer wizard," designating the new drive as middleman/removable storage device. it prepared everything to transfer but when it finished that step it did not go on to the actual transfer. as you have certainly surmised, i don't know what i'm doing. so here i am. any advice would be appreciated.

2. kjanz

kjanz Corporal

you would still have to reinstall all programs on the new drive. you could 'slave' the old drive to the new, the copy/paste files over.

or 'clone the original drive.

free clone is clonemaxx. google for it.

i've used it, and its easy and great!!

the new drive will be an exact copy of the old.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

The 80 GB drive would more than likely be faster than the 20 GB drive, so that should be the main drive.

Use the 80 as the Master on the Primary, and if you want to use the 20 then keep it on the Primary as the Slave. Personally, I can't really see much use for the 20 except to store or archive files.

A fresh install is the way to go, but if not then forget copy and paste.

It really depends on what you want to transfer over to the new drive.

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Just to add to what has been posted.
    You can also make multiple partitions on the 80gb HDD one for the OS, then the rest of it for storage.
    Yes use the 20bg for storage too!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds