How do i overclock my processer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by -=BU=-Boo, Nov 26, 2005.

1. -=BU=-Boo

-=BU=-Boo Private E-2

How do i overclock my AMD Athalon 3200+ guys any1 help meee plzeee thx :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. -=BU=-Boo

-=BU=-Boo Private E-2

ok its just that i should have 2.0 ghz on my comp but when i go on system it reads 999mhz y is this ???? is my comp being underclocked or somethin plze explain :)

4. DavidGP

Would have saved some time if you had mentioned that in the first place... yes? best to give full info on a problem rather than a one liner, it saves time.

Is the Athlon you have a.........

Athlon XP
    Athlon 64

is it also a laptop or desktop?

If desktop you may have to enter the Bios and set the CPU/multiplier setting to Auto or change the multiplier to x10.

IF a laptop then the CPU throttling is by design but you can override this if needed.

5. -=BU=-Boo

-=BU=-Boo Private E-2

ok its a AMD 64 athalon and yes it is a desktop what should i do?

6. DavidGP

Enter the Bios and check the CPU/multiplier settings.. what figures do they say?

OH as a side note as this will help what is your motherboard name and version?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  7. -=BU=-Boo

-=BU=-Boo Private E-2

ok how do i enter my bios again>

8. DavidGP

When you PC boots you should get a quick message on screen as to which key to tap to enter the Bios..... ( it does flash up quick so concentrate )

The key to press varies per manufacturer or motherboard, hence the question...... WHAT is your motherboard name and version? :)

9. -=BU=-Boo

-=BU=-Boo Private E-2

ok its f1 i went in and i got like subs sayin power ,advanced and so on what should i go in 2 find out ??? btw thanks 4 all this help halo

10. DavidGP

What is your motherboards name and version or is your PC a prebuilt one from the likes of DELL, HP etc if so whats the model name?

Those answers will allow me or others to download a manual and help you through the settings as most Bios are all different, you could go through them all and look for options for CPU speed ( set to auto if you find it ) or Multiplier.

11. -=BU=-Boo

-=BU=-Boo Private E-2

ok im rlly unsure of my mother board but its a compaq amd athalon 64 and ive added a gerforce fx 5500 g card thats it. It oringally came with an intergratted ATI X200 G card

12. DavidGP

Does the Compaq have a model number? eg. my Compaq laptop is model numbered R4065ea

But if your able to enter the bios as I mentioned look for in Advanced menu, for Front Side Bus, CPU Frequency, what do they say next to them?

13. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

Hmm, would it be rude to say RTFM? They do make them to be read...

Well, just wanted to add that all might be perfect but you still see strange values in OS because of Cool&Quiet, Powernow features. CPU is very flexible and in programs like Everest you can see max/min values for multiplier and voltage. Could be 5x/10x for multiplier and 1.1v/1.45v for voltage, depends on cpu. So you get an ever changing state. Overclockers go bah and often disable C&Q, no need for this and it might confuse fans as well. Trick is cpu is only asked to deliver power when asked/needed - ie. game starts. You need special AMD driver for full use of this but it can be done manually as well. RMClock is very good http://cpu.rightmark.org/products/rmclock.shtml

May be not useful but I could imagine Compaq has all this enabled by default. Nice for quiet office machie. Uninstalling and disable C&Q will not necessarily give you noise hell. NF4 chipset, you have NF4?, still can control even stock AMD fan, video cards can also be controlled. And there is RMClock.

For easiest overclocking kill this and also any software related program you could have running. Chipset/cpu very easy to manipulate by software so possible Compaq have a thingy checking fan speeds or whatever - may be even a RMclock clone so you could have C&Q disabled but still feel cpu has life of its own ;)

Read manual about locking memory to rated speed. With a 3200 you might be able to run 10x250fsb or so. Nice but if you have memory set to follow cpu fsb it will get unstable if not dead. Unless of course you have super pc3200 or pc4000 ram but not likely. Find out how to force it to stay at 200fsb level no matter what you do with cpu. When cpu is done you can try fiddle with memory, can be overclocked as well. Focus on cpu though, that is where you get most gain anyway. If chipset is NF4 loss of not running memory in sync with cpu is nothing to cry about. Be sure you test properly, also goes for cpu/ram on Compaq computer. Changing settings is very easy, just move some sliders and punch in numbers - testing and maintaining exact same stability as stock computer is more troublesome and boring.

Forgot. As Halo said, get details on your stuff. Find out if they have made bios upgrades. Not so unlikely they have fixes for C&Q or whatever. Most NF4 motherboards have received many updates, the way it is. Dont just flash away, know how to do it by the book first. And only if you see upgrade is relevant for you. Sometimes they dont tell all changes - as a rule use latest but also dont break what works, heh. Get on top of bios and settings and that will be it.

14. SuperSly

SuperSly Private E-2

i dont recomend to overclock, if u r still on the stage where u dont know how to enter a bios

dont take it wrong way but if u brake or burn something u gonna be a lot more pised off than u r now

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds