How do i prevent windows media player 10 from loading up when i insert media?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jason kerr, Oct 25, 2004.

1. jason kerr

jason kerr Private E-2

not so saavy at this, but i cant find a way to stop windows media player from being the default player. every time i put in a cd it loads up and i have to close it manually. i looked through all the settings and there is no option in plain english that prevents it from loading up. i was going to contact microsoft to ask them, but they want $99 USD, bull shat if you ask me. so if anyone can help, thanks....

JK

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The way I know and have alwasys used to stop CDs from autoplaying ( as its damm anoying especially if you've already installed the software ) will also work for Music CDs.

the easy option and one that saves messing in the registry is to download Powertoys for XP and install the TweakUI module, once installed and run goto the My Computer menu > Auto Play and untick your CD drives > Apply

Powertoys for XP
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=710

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds