how do I put on a new operating system without affecting the software and documents?

Discussion in 'Software' started by soulhaunter, Aug 4, 2011.

1. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

Is there a way of taking off an existing operating system and putting a new one on without affecting the applications and such or maybe repairing the current operating system? I am running windows xp professional.

Thank you :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Re: how do I put on a new operating system without affecting the software and documen

Hi Sadly no on taking the OS off and re-installing a clean version to fix an issue, you'd have to backup your docs and make sure you have all software installers and serial keys to allow you to re-install them.

You can do a repair though, and info HERE

But again I would backup your important docs and make sure you have all application/software installers (CD, downloads etc) and serial keys.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Re: how do I put on a new operating system without affecting the software and documen

Quite the radical approach man. Can you state why you want to do this? At any rate, your apps will have to be reinstalled at the very least, and your data, if it was in the same partition. Do you want to upgrade to W7? Then save everything.

4. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

Hi there

There is software I use alot but I lost the cd's and keys for them. I would like to upgrade to windows 7. I know when you install windows 7, you dont need to reformat the hard drive, does this also ensure your applications are still installed when doing this? Or does it only save the previous windows folder

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You need to do a clean install of W7. There is a migrating tool available for apps etc.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You cannot migrate applications to Win 7 with Windows Easy Transfer I'm afraid.
    They have to be reinstalled.

7. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

so is there any way at all to transfer applications from slave to master hard drives when the master hard drive has the same operating system as the slave? windows xp?

8. Earthling

If you are simply replacing the hard drive, and if the old drive and OS are still functioning then you can clone the old drive to the new drive. Several ways this can be done, the simplest being to store an image of the old drive on an external drive using a free imaging program such as Easeus Todo, and restore that image to the new drive after swapping drives. You use a bootable cd you create with Easeus to do this.

9. soulhaunter

soulhaunter Private E-2

operating system doesnt function anymore :( i did clone it with acronis but that when the OS had problems and i need to aquire acronis from somewhere

10. Earthling

If you have a Seagate or WD drive connected there are free versions of Acronis available with which you may be able to recover your Acronis image. Otherwise you may have to purchase Acronis as that seems the only way of recovering your old apps.

11. Earthling

I should have asked before, but when you created this Acronis image did you not create the Rescue CD? And even if you did not you can still download it from Acronis.

12. Earthling

Not sure where you are now with this, but if you are seeing a way you may be able to restore your Acronis image then it will of course overwrite any personal files stored on that partition after the image was created. There may be ways of dealing with this too but will await some feedback first.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds