How do I reformat my HD without floppy

Discussion in 'Software' started by gooble, Jan 17, 2007.

1. gooble

gooble Private E-2

I don't know if I should have posted in hardware but I have to reformat my hard drive, problem is I dont have a floppy drive and I also can't get into the drive which i want to reformat! I get a BSOD at startup, I installed IE 7 and when i restarted I got the BSOD just after the xp welcome screen, when I boot in safemode i can get in but the first task i try and do will just BSOD my pc, however I can boot into my 2nd harddrive and access the non functioning/problem harddrive. I have backedup my important files on another external HD and now I think the best thing to do is just reformat the problem drive and reinstall my win XPpro but how do I reformat/clean without bieng able to boot into that drive and with no floppy disc drive ! sorry if this a basic problem but i am a noob and I couldn't find much helpfull stuff when i googled this problem . . .

2. eyeblazin

eyeblazin Private First Class

If you have a WINXP disc insert and boot comp and try to do a repair. I have heard of people making a bootable cd. Might try a websearch and see if it finds anything. You may have to go into BIOS and change boot sequence to boot from CD

3. gooble

gooble Private E-2

Thanks eyes - I'll give it a try

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

You should be able to boot from your XP CD into Recovery Console, where Format is an available utility.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

No need for recovery console, to format the hdd, if one has a xp boot cd. Just re-install. Or rather try a repair install instead (not repair as in recovery console).

But, on a side note, if ye can get into the recovery console, try the following:

Link for more info: http://bisnut.com/blogs/bisnut/arch...-Remove-IE7-After-It-Hoses-Your-Computer.aspx

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds