how do I reload Windows XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by homepc, Dec 27, 2007.

1. homepc

homepc Private E-2

I copied my entire hard drive using a drive copy utility. The copy worked fine. But the new hard drive is now in a completely differant computer with completely different hardware. I thought that I could put the copied hard drive into a differant computer and do a repair of windows and have it boot up. But it doesn't. I did a repair, and now all it does is start to boot, and get an error and reboot. I even tried in safe mode.

Is there any way to get a copied hard drive to run in a differant computer? I have all the drivers for the nesw setup, but I cant get to a place where I can load them.

Any suggestions?

thanks
    Ray

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK MajorGeeks Forum Administrator Staff Member

Hi ray :)
    You cant load a copy of windows on one hard drive and put it in another computer I'm afraid as the OEM copy of windows is for the computer that was purchased only. If you have a purchased copy of windows IE the genuine disk however you can speak to Microsoft for free and explain on what you have done and what you are trying to achieve within the terms of the xp license and if it is they will grant you another key to get that hard drive activated within the new hardware. Remember one xp key for one computer only irrespective on weather it is a genuine key that was purchased or a OEM key that came with your computer
    Let us know on how you get on

regards

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds