how do I remove dried thermal paste

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andyroo773, Jan 11, 2006.

1. andyroo773

andyroo773 Private E-2

Hey guys ,
    just wondering how to remove dried thermal paste Iv'e got a nv silencer in the mail for my 6800,along with some arctic silver and I want to do this right.This crap is dried all over the ram chips,which I'm scared to look at too hard:eek: so I'm wondering what solvent can be used without damaging the ram???
    Also can this same solvent be used to remove sticky gooey thermal paste too??? Thanks for your replies

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

A dry cloth should do it, and it's the safest way also.

3. andyroo773

andyroo773 Private E-2

You do understand its like hardened correct??

4. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

I scrape carefully with a PLASTIC knife or credit card. Just stay away from the pins on the chips. Then rubbing alcohol on a cloth, and finish up the cleaning. Don't soak the cloth, just dampen a spot with the alcohol. You don't want to soak the compound, and make it run onto the chip pins. Actually, you can usually scrape the bulk of it off with your fingernail.

5. Insomniac

Don't know how "hardened" it is, but it's always worked for me.

6. andyroo773

andyroo773 Private E-2

Ok ,
    thanks alot guys I'll give it a go as soon as my silencer gets here.

7. Shallow_Grave

Shallow_Grave Private E-2

Nice one guys I have been reading all about guys using window cleaner and (unscented) nail polish remover. Anyone got opinions on these?

8. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Nail polish remover 'Acetone' reacts with some plastics it also ivapourates much faster which can make water condense,Isopropyl alchohol is much less reactive and dissolves the paste easily,dont know about window cleaner,but its has all sorts of waxes,soaps and polishes in,best to stick with alchohol

It isnt like cleaning off old thermal paste is hard in any sense of the word,as insomniac said a dry cloth will remove all of it with only minor pressure and the alchohol will remove any residual greese

Andy before you get bent out of shape wondering why the silencer wont fit check that your card has all the clearances in this diagram

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/downloads/compatibility/height_restr_nv5_r2.pdf

:)

9. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Yes, :rolleyes: Dont use either:rolleyes:

I use Isopropyl Alcohol 91% or higher (at local drug store it's about $1 for 16oz) and as posted: a plastic knife/credit card/drivers lisence works good for scraping dry hard stuff
    Also use lint free rags/cloth

10. Insomniac

Considering window cleaner isn't recommended for monitors as it can remove the coating, I wouldn't be using it for anything else either.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds