how do i run programs off a slave drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dragonball82, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

hello saviours of grace and all things pc related :)

unfortunately my HDD died on me with "verifying pool data". despite varying attempts to revive it (without going as far as mouth to mouth :eek: ). to cut along story short, i decided to set it as a slave to another HDD.

however my problem is that the slave has program files i would like to run on the new HDD.
    i cannot work out how best to do this as they do not run from the slave.
    do i need to burn the program files to cd and then reinstall on the new C:\ drive, or is there another way i can get the programs to run?

also what is the best thing to do with the "poorly" drive now, i cannot really afford to just chuck it in the bin or is that a sad inevitability ? i can read the data on it and also check it for viruses, malware and spyware, it had zlob.AFD which has since been removed, so it is now clean.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, you will need to re-install the program files on your new computer. However, if you have data files that the programs use, then you can move those to an equivalent location on the new hard drive, and hopefully, you won't lose your settings/data. For example, Battlefield 2 stores all of its game data in a folder in My Documents, and moving it to another machine is a snap.

Good Luck!

3. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Hi to all at Major Geeks! What a neat little site.
    Looking forward to quenching my thirst for knowledge!

You mentioned you have tried unsuccessfully to revive your HDD by various methods.
    Have you tried freezing it? Sounds crazy, but it has been known to work.
    Put your HDD in a waterproof plastic bag in the freezer overnight, retrieve in the morning, hook it straight up(still in the bag), and if it boots, go like a 'shot dog' to haul your data outa there before she warms up again.

I've heard that it can be effective on drives that are giving 'data read errors' or even drives that are not spinning up!

My only logical explanation for this phenomenum is that metal contracts when its cold.....so the drive platters shrink, increasing the clearances for the read/write heads. Usually if your drive is not making a clicking sound, your successful in retrieving your data.

It's a long shot but if you have'nt already tried it, it can be a saviour to one of our worst nightmares.(you guys probably already know this,but i tried..hehe)

Regards.......

4. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

Thanks for that Mada_Milty, does just transferring them across work? can i just cut and paste the program folder over? or do i need to burn to disc and reinstall? :confused:
    the program i am really trying to use again is Nero

@nitecrawler = i think i'll give that idea a miss, but thanks anyway :)

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Would suggest a total reformat of that drive after you've moved/saved your stuff ....might bring it back to working condition.

6. Dragonball82

Dragonball82 Private E-2

I will definately give that a go - but how do i transfer the program files folder to get all the programs i had working on the old drive installed and working :confused:

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You can't transfer the programs ...have to reinstall them on the new drive then can run the files and trasfer wizard ....:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds