How do I secure a Hawkings H2WR54G Router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fitefansho, Sep 4, 2008.

1. fitefansho

fitefansho Private E-2

I have a Hawkings H2WR54G router and it's sending out an unsecured, unnamed (default is the name actually) wireless signal to 4 computers in my small business. How do I secure the router so others can't jump on my Internet connection, and how do I name the signal so it matches my company name?

I know how to get into the router (192.168.2.1) from a connected PC but securing and naming the network, I can't figure out and those people at Hawkings won't help on the phone without charging me, and the manual doesn't tell me how to do it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Oh, and I also need to create a password for people in my company to be able to use the secured network.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Try this

How Do I Setup Wireless Security / Encryption for the HWR54G Wireless-G Router?

The HWR54G provides users with several levels of security.� Depending on which level of security you wish to set please follow the appropriate instructions below.� WEP is an older security standard than WPA.� For the most up to date advanced security Hawking recommends your network to be set with WPA security.
    To enable WEP encryption, please do the following:
    Go to the following website: http://192.168.1.254 Then click on a dark blue tab in the upper right side of the screen that is�labeled Wireless.

Scroll down to Wireless Security and click on the Configure button.

Under the Security System tab, select WEP.

For key size, you may select 64 bit or 128 bit. For 64 bit, you need a 10 digit key code using numbers and the letters A-F only.

For 128 bit, the same applys All you need to do is type in a code of your choice under the line Key 1.

Then click on the button on the bottom called Save, which is to the left of the Cancel button.

To enable WPA-PSK encryption, please do the following:

Go to the following website: http://192.168.1.254 Then click on a dark blue tab in the upper right side of the screen that is�labeled Wireless.

Scroll down to Wireless Security and click on the Configure button.

Under the Security System tab, select WPA-PSK.

Then type in any combination of letters and numbers for your PSK code, which ranges from 8-63 characters, and it is case sensitive.

For key lifetime, put in100 seconds.

Leave the encryption type as TKIP. Then click on Save. And then click on close.

3. fitefansho

fitefansho Private E-2

What about naming the network? How do I do that?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Routers have default logins; usually something stupid like admin for the name and admin for the password or no name and password for password.
    You need to go to 192.168.2.1 and click on any tab/section titled Administration. There is probably a sub section there that lets you change the log in name and password. Once you do that, any one who wants to change anything will have a popup.
    I changed my username to "mywifi" so that's the name that appears if people look at wireless networks in the area. They don't know what brand and model router I have.

Also look around (192.168.2.1) and turn off remote administration. That means that in order to change anything in your router setup, the computer needs to be hardwired to the router. No one connecting wirelessly will be able to change anything that you've setup.

5. fitefansho

fitefansho Private E-2

This particular router has had it. Cannot get online wirelessly from any PC no matter what when it's secured, no problem when unsecured, reset etc. Some PC's in the office cannot even connect with a fully functional Cat5 cable coming out of a good port, of which there might be 2. Tried everything. Updated firmware. Etc. What did I miss? Very frustrating.

:banghead

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds