how do I secure my DSL modem broadcast signal?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Niky, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Niky

Niky Private E-2

My home computer uses a DSL modem for internet access. Now and then I log on to an "unknown" wireless signal using my laptop. Just discovered that the "unknown" signal is being broadcast by my DSL modem. Wow! What do I do to plug this hole? Thanks

...niky

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

What is the make and model of your DSL modem?

3. Niky

Niky Private E-2

Lev...
    Thanks for your response. The DSL modem is a Westell 327W. It was supplied by Verizon when I signed up for their service. I remember it came with a short stub antenna. Wasn't sure what that was about, so put it somewhere, presently unknown. Guess the signal is still getting out a bit. Take care.
    ...Niky

4. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

You need to set a WEP key for your DSL modem to stop other accessing it and slowing down your speed, or even accessing your information.

You can do this with the 327W through your browser Go to this link 192.168.1.1. If you access the modem first time (which it sound like you are) and it is still in default mode, the username=admin and password=password. You can configure the wireless settings in the configuration menu/wireless.

Configuration|wireless menu consist of:

1. Basic - This where you enable the wireless, change the SSID, & Mode (leave as it is).
    2. Security - You choose the encryption here(WEP or WPA), use WPA if available, put at least 21 character keys.
    3. Mac Filter - This is self explanatory.
    4. Advanced - For now leave it in default

So it is #2 you are wanting to set a key for. WRITE IT DOWN and put somewhere safe! Use a random combination of alphanumeric characters. It is case sensitive too.

5. Niky

Niky Private E-2

Lev...

At that address, I get a screen that reads speed, "my" connection name which is listed as "auto registration," and a profile editor. Clicking on profile editor I'm asked for user name and password. Using your suggestions ["admin" & "password"] gets me locked out. No access. What's next?

Many thanks for your time here.

...Niky

6. Niky

Niky Private E-2

Lev...

Tried another "name" and got access to a screen that did not have the options that you outlined. It just contained my Verizon info. I didn't try to change any of that, obviously. That said, no way to change security parameters.

...Niky

7. Niky

Niky Private E-2

Lev...
    Nothing like looking around. I found a place to make changes. Did so, without complete understanding, but will poke around and try some "self-education." I'll get back to you with any questions that come up. Thanks again.
    ...robert

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds