How do i stop my laptop from shutting off the laptop display when the lid is closed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KOLEMBH24, Aug 14, 2014.

1. KOLEMBH24

KOLEMBH24 Private E-2

i have a laptop and an external display. my laptop display is the primary display for fullscreen games and the external display is for netflix, itunes, facebook ect. when i close the lid (even if im not playing a game) it wont recognize the laptop display anymore and it makes the external display the primary display which completely messes up how ive set things up. How can I make it so that even though the lid is closed my laptop will still recognize thats its display still exists and it remains the primary display?
    [​IMG]

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Re: How do i stop my laptop from shutting off the laptop display when the lid is clos

Hi, KOLEMBH24. Welcome to Major Geeks. :)

Could you please list the make and model of the laptop and which version of Windows you're running? There are some differences in how to go about setting up multi-monitor configurations.

3. wilddean

wilddean Private E-2

Re: How do i stop my laptop from shutting off the laptop display when the lid is clos

If its windows, Go to control panel, Then power options, it should have na option in there to choose what happens when you close your lid

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Thanks. I never saw those options before. I'm still finding things in Windows 7 I had no idea were there.

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's why I asked. It doesn't seem the OP has gotten back to this thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds