How do I support Non-Windows OSs on Server 2003

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-15281db623, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

Lets say that I'm in charge of setting up a theoretical network that needs to support various operating systems as both clients and servers. Outside of Windows I can expect to to see Macs, Linux, and some Unix systems. Some of these systems do no support WINS so what do I need to do in order to make Server 2003 compatible with these other operating systems? I'm guessing its going to have something to do with NetBIOS name resolution but I'm very new to this stuff and I'm trying to figure it out.

Thanks to anyone who can help

2. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Lets say on this theoretical network you have a DNS (Domain Name Server). All of the systems you mention can utilize TCP/IP. Simply add the Windows 2003 server to the DNS and you are good to go provided all your other systems are using the DNS as well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds