How do I transfer data from desktop to Laptop ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dan99t, Jun 10, 2012.

1. dan99t

dan99t Private E-2

Hi,

I am travelling & taking my desktop's 500 GB Hard Disk ( with data & OS ) with me. Once I reach my destination I will be buying a Laptop there & want to transfer the data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD.

Without an access to desktop there, how do I transfer data from my desktop's HDD to Laptop's HDD ?

Thanks

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

3. shony

shony Private E-2

Depending on what operating system you have there are also data transfer cables available

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Could also purchase an external hard drive enclosure to put your drive in.
    Be sure to get the correct type. (SATA or IDE)

5. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I use one of these for pure data transfers but it does not come with cloning software. Keep the drive in an anti-static bag when traveling and do not touch the PCB of the hard drive. Ground yourself first when attaching the drive to the adapter.

6. dan99t

dan99t Private E-2

Many Thanks to all.

Very helpful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds