How do I transfer my Outlook Address book?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cindysnoopy, Feb 6, 2004.

1. cindysnoopy

cindysnoopy Shotgun!

Hi guys, I tried searching this and didn't come up with anything that I could understand (so use small words to help me here :eek: )

We're trying to send in our primary machine for some repairs (still under warrantee!) and then reformat the whole thing once we get it back, but in the meantime, we're putting everything we want on Eric's work computer. We've got Office 2000XP installed, but we can't figure out how to transfer the address book. Ought to learn now, so we can do it again later.

Whadda we do?

2. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Outlook stores everything, addresses, saved emails, preferences, you name it, in a monster file called outlook.pst, and if you've archived old files, in a companion file called archive.pst in the same folder. Buried pretty deeply. Drill down through
    C:\Documents and Settings\ <account name> \Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook , where <account name> is your login account name. It/they will be in that Outlook folder, and may be pretty large, depending on what all you save. Save them to disk or move them somewhere safe & you've got all your Outlook goodies. There's no way I no to move JUST the address book portion.

3. G.T.

G.T. R.I.P February 4, 2007. You will be missed.

Wups! I'm nearsighted. ;) I've used the Import function to restore stuff from saved files, but am so used to saving my stuff manually in Windows Explorer that I don't use and forgot about Export.

Thanks SloppyGoat/sorry Cindy. :)

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Knowing about pst files will be helpful when they restore. I would burn the pst to a cd unless files are on a network that will be accessable.

5. eclayton

eclayton Sgt. Shorts-cough

Success!! GT, you had told me before about those files, but I tried copy/pasting, but of course that didn't work. I had tried importing, but didn't know which file format to use.....So, between the 3 of you I was able to figure it out and voila!!!

Thanks so much, guys, and once again, I learned something!! :)

6. Greyhound

Greyhound Sergeant

:) Good call SG, was just about to input that myself, as I have used it.

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Cindy! Stop letting him touch the systems....

just kidding Eric! :cool:

8. bern

bern Sergeant

glad i came across this post i made a back up and burnt on cd

thanks all :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds