How do I turn off Window Picture & Fax Viewer

Discussion in 'Software' started by clemmo, Mar 14, 2005.

1. clemmo

clemmo Private E-2

I'm working with Windows XP and I want to turn off the default to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
    I went into the Registry and edited the following: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT (System file associations\image\shell ex\context menu handler) and deleted Shell Image Preview but it didn't work.
    Then I did the following: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\clsid\{e84fda7c-1d6a-4586-b725-cb260c236066}\shellex and deleted manchange def menu. Still nothing.
    What gives?
    Am I not doing something additional. Help please.
    Thanks

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I would not just go into registry and modify things for this reason.
    What other software/utility do you have installed to replace the default viewer? In other words why do you want to turn the default viewer off because a replacement software would normally make the appropriate changes automatically.

PS. No matter how skilled you are and know what you are doing, since all modifications to Windows Registry is permanent and can't be reverse, you should ALWAYS back it up prior to messing around in it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds