How do I use my hard drive converter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jess1rph, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Jess1rph

Jess1rph Private E-2

I just bought a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE hard drive converter adapter from ebay. I hooked up my hard drive from a Toshiba Satelite laptop to the converter then attached the conveter to my Dell desktop. Now what? It, of course, didn't come with directions. Thanks all.

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

You aren't going to be able to boot into windows if that's what you're thinking.

The only thing I can suggest you do is use the jumpers to set it as a slave, then boot into windows using your normal hard disk drive. You will then have access to the files on the laptop hard disk drive.

3. Jess1rph

Jess1rph Private E-2

I'm not sure how to use the jumpers. Can you help? I know I have to make the laptop drive the slave, but not sure how to fo it.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

If it was in the laptop it must be master - I assume that your not seeing it recognized in BIOS? try flipping the connector.
    Is it the only drive in the PC at the time your booting?
    - if not put it on the second IDE.

*Some of these adapter are not keyed to let you know pin1.. if it is check that it is attached correctly to the IDE and power..

5. wingnut44271

wingnut44271 Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds