How Do I Wipe A Drive Clean From A Work Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrsgardea, Nov 13, 2016.

1. mrsgardea

mrsgardea Private E-2

I have a computer I got from work that I can keep and I want to wipe the drive completely clean and turn it into a personal computer. Its a HP desktop computer with windows 7 professional running on it. I already have a chromebook uploaded to a usb stick that Ive used to reprogram one of my other computers, and when I try to do it on this one, the boot screen wont let me do it. There are all sorts of security setting applied and I cant delete or install certain things on here. I just want to wipe the drive clean. How can I do this? I do not have the windows 7 install cd either. Is there a way to do this??

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

The only reason to "wipe" a disk clean is to prevent bad guys from recovering your data. Understand "wipe" is a term to mean a bunch of random 1s and 0s are written to the disk so any previously saved data cannot be recovered with any file recovery or unerase programs.

Does this computer boot? If so, then just uninstall what you don't want. Delete any old personal files. If this is not going to be a boot disk, then you can just format the drive and this will erase/delete everything on it.

Note you should have been given all the disks with that computer. You may have to buy a new Windows license to be legal.

3. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If she can boot to CD, she can use MiniTool Partition Wizard bootable CD (choose architecture first and burn to CD) to wipe the drive, then download the Win 7 ISO and purchase a Key for around $35US. Of course, if there's a BIOS password set, she'd need to get it from her place of employment.

6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

My company keeps the drives, people just buy an SSD.

the mekanic and Eldon like this.
  7. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Yeah, what company lets you take a computer with their data?? And with the "all sorts of security setting applied.."

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Does this machine look for a "PXE-ROM" at startup?

9. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Not as uncommon as you might think. Any larger company with a real IT person on staff will surely clean up the computer before letting it go. But many smaller companies with a business that has nothing to do with computers see their computers just as many normal users do - as tools or appliances that should just work like their microwave oven or toaster. And when they break, they just replace them without a thought about protecting the data. Their goal is to get back to work as fast as possible. If security were as common sense as many of us feel it should be, the bad guys would not be enjoying the great success that they do. :(

DOA and the mekanic like this.
  10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01867418/
    This gives you a chance , if there is a recovery partition on there - I have had some from companies that did.
    If it has the recovery partition you will not need a disc, or, a coa, as it will install as factory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds