How do I wipe my Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Software' started by santidreamer, Sep 27, 2008.

1. santidreamer

santidreamer Private E-2

After getting a nasty trojan and removing it my PC is in a real bad way.

I have done the things sugested, cleaning, defrag and program removal.

I now want to wipe the HD and start from scratch, all docs and pics etc have already been backed up.

Once the PC has booted up I can see no route that allows a full restore, HP helpdesk suggested trying F10 boot menu, I have tried F8, F10 and F12 menu without success.

When I run the XP cd it gives 2 options repair or install new. repiar does not cure my problems, new install gives a warning about installing 2 operating systems, so I have not done it.

How do I wipe my Hard Drive?

If I go into add and remove programs can I unistall everything?

If I go START then RUN is there a funky command that will dl the trick?

Thank you in advance for looking at this thread

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I do not understand the part about installing 2 systems.
    when you insert your system cd it should only have 1 OS on there (or have you modified it).

If you still want to clear your hard drive this application will do it and it is free but if your OS disk is corrupt you will not be able to re-install it so take care

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Active_KillDisk_d4791.html

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is the exact model number/name of your HP PC? some versions have differing routes to restore to factory settings.

Why you are getting the option for 2 OSes is that you still have a version of Windows on your PC, if you follow Bills advice above and clear the HD then your left with a fresh clean HD to install Windows onto, this time it will only install one.

or you can format the C: Drive partition from the XP CD and its installer, then you can re-install XP afresh, some info on this http://www.petri.co.il/install_windows_xp_pro.htm ( home and pro are similar )

4. santidreamer

santidreamer Private E-2

Thank you for helping me.

I have now sucessfully wiped the HD, using disc kill and reinstalled XP and MS office.

I am now downloading fire wall, antivirus and spyware.

I STUPIDILY thought I knew best on what keyboard to install,@ and" are tranposed on the keyboard. i.e. they are not where they are marked on the keyboard.

I have unistalled and reinstalled the keyboard to no effect, I could try updating the driver but the PC thinks it has English keyboard rather than an American.

How do I change my Key board type?

Thanks Again

5. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Hi
    click "start/control panel/printers and other hardware/keyboard" it should then tell you which keyboard you have installed and give you the options to troubleshoot or change.

just as an after thought if you press the letter Q do you get the letter A ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds