How do these specs look for a new build?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BluesMan, Mar 8, 2008.

1. BluesMan

BluesMan Sgt. Snot Bubble

Gonna try and hit Fry's today or tomorrow. Here's what I came up with from their website for a build. They are about 1.5 miles from my house, hopefully everything is in stock. Any ideas/suggestions welcomed.

www.frys.com

#5101696 Core 2 Quad Q6600 $320

#5372008 Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo $95

#5119696 Vista Home Premium Full OEM $110

Case, don't know put $120 here

Pwr supply, don't know put $120 here (600W+)

#4862510 Corsair DDR2 800 2G $75

Sata 3g drive 320gb put $100 here

#5525180 EVGA 9600GT 512mb PCI-express $200

DVD burner $60

1200 bucks plus tax, give or take a few bucks.

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

3. BluesMan

Thanks Fred. By the time I pay tax and shipping on a newegg order, as Im in California and get nailed with sales tax, its roughly the same overall for the entire system. I have used new egg in the past and if I get discourage at the store today I may just order everthing thru them again. I can always step down to the 6850 and save a good 120 bucks : ).

Any other suggestions?

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Geez, you gotta pay sales tax! That bites. The joys of Newegg. The parts for the first computer I built all came from the 'egg. I got everything in but the mobo in one box. The mobo came from a different warehouse I guess, stuff sat on a shelf glaring at me untill the board came in.

Looks like a pretty good setup. I have the same CPU and mobo.

E

5. BluesMan

Do you have the stock cooler on the CPU if so are you happy with it? Is it super noisy?

Still haven't gone to get the parts. We are going between this setup and buying a 22"+ screen a little later on or a Dell XPS 15series laptop.

6. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

the stock cooler works great for me. not noisy or anything and keeps it nice and cool. performance is excellent too.

7. xdamnationx

xdamnationx Private E-2

Sata 3g drive 320gb put $100 here, these drives are ok but not reliable cause of the large capacity. power supply... get a turbo cool 860 w power supply, double the price but much more reliable. Vista suxs.. buy xp pro. my two cents.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

BluesMan- I did not like the stock cooler. High pitched whine and did not cool very well with an overclock. I got one of them big old Thermalrigts with a 120mm fan. Cools better. Actually, I think the constant speed changes with the stock fan was really what bugged me.

E

9. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

I havent oced mine plus I have a 360mm fan on the side of the case pushing air in so that may make mine not ramp up :) or you may have got a bad one fred(not that intel EVER sends out bad fans lol )

10. BluesMan

going in for the kill this afternoon. Think I have all the parts picked out. May have to substitute if something isnt in stock.

Wish me luck :D

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You don't need luck. Just prop a sledgehammer next to the case while you are building the 'puter. That way if knows you mean buisiness. :D

E

12. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Fry's is where I bought the 6G Dual Core and ESC MB that gave me no end of trouble, but you're looking at a Gigabyte, which I have used with good results in the past.

They also periotically have a 500 Gig HD for under $100.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds