How do we chat and use our webcamera?

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrsMom, Nov 1, 2008.

1. MrsMom

MrsMom Private E-2

Mrs. Mom is moving up in the world, I just got a new laptop:-D it has a webcam. My family has same laptop waaaay away from here and we want to chat and see each other while we chat. We are both using a Dell with windows vista and built in cameras. I haven't the slightest idea which program to download or use in order to do this...haven't even ever seen it done, but I am trying to move into 2008 with the rest of the world! ;) I would like something free if possible...can you give me any suggestions please?:confused We can talk and see each other at the same time right???...I am not up to speed at all :-o ....yet. I have heard you can actually talk and see the other person at the same time. Maybe I should get a myspace account?:confused I think they can see each other and talk can't they? I am open to suggestions. :) thanks for any and all help! :-D

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You should already have software installed on your computer.

When you go into your Start>Programs, do you see a Dell Webcam Manager or something similar?

3. MrsMom

MrsMom Private E-2

Okay, thanks. You are right, I found it, it is called 'dell webcam'. Now upon looking, it says to 'video chat', all I have to do is 'sign up, $9.99/month' and all is well. Does that sound about right?:confused I would trust advice on this forum before I would believe advertisement for more money etc. I don't think $10/month is bad, just want to know if that is what I should expect?:wave thanks-MrsMom

4. MrsMom

MrsMom Private E-2

I found what I was looking for on SKYPE. Free video chatting. thanks for any and all help.
    :wave

5. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Glad you figured it out. And yes, Skype is great. I use that myself.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds