How do you diable a pci component you dont need?

Discussion in 'Software' started by superstar, Nov 29, 2007.

1. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

I have a pci soundcard in my system. I do not want to use it... I want to use the integrated soundcard on my motherboard. But I do not want to take out the pci soundcard from my motherboard. I just want to leave it in and not use it. How can I do so????? Should I uninstall the drivers for the soundcard and than disable the component in my device manager???? Can someone please help!:major:major:major

How do you diable a pci component you dont need? when you still want it physically sitting [not in use] on your motherboard.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Go into your Device Manager (right click My Computer, select Properties, click the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button). Click the little plus sign next to Sound, Video, and Game Controllers. Locate your sound card in this list; right click on your sound card and select Disable. That's it! :D After it's been disabled, you can uninstall the drivers thru Add/Remove Programs. Personally, I think the sound card would be easier to find in the device manager before uninstalling the drivers. On the other hand, if you uninstall the drivers first, reboot the PC, and cancel the New Hardware Wizard that will pop up upon Windows reloading, you can go into the Device Manager and disable the device with the yellow question mark that says "Multimedia Audio Controller". (Unless Windows reloads the driver automatically, in which case you'd be back at step one of this post ;) )

3. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

like DLB said, control panel-->device manager----> right click and disable

4. superstar

superstar Major-Superstar

thanks guys. does or will this ruin my sound card while its still in my pc? its worth 400 bucks... youch!!! i just dont want to use it now because im lending my pc to someone and dont want to take it out but just want them to enjoy the simple integrated motherboard audio since they dont know how to control an advanced soundcard.

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Did you install the card yourself? Do you know how to install and remove such cards from PCI slots? If so, I'd just remove it, especially since you're loaning your computer to someone and have these concerns about them using it.

Removing that card is a simple task, if you've ever done any installing of sound/video/LAN/etc. cards in a computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds