How do you turn on the volume control?

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Sep 10, 2008.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I'm not talking about how to get it on screen. I am talking about how you turn on the functions through the regedit program.

Here is my problem.

My father-in-law installed Skype on his machine and bought Skypeout which allows VOIP calls to any landline in the U.S. and Can.

The problem is that every time he makes a call the microphone section of the volume control window gets the mute checkbox checked. This mutes the mic and the party on the other end cannot hear him even though he can hear them. The workaround is to have the volume control window open when making a call and unchecking the mute box.

I have tried to force the mute "off" through the regedit program but have had no luck whatsoever. I have tried the program on my unit and I cannot get it to do on mine what it does on his.

The Skype help windows are no help.

Does anyone have any idea on what can be done about this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

j

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Maybe make a Shortcut pointing to sndvol32.exe (in XP---not sure about Vista).

Or Start-->Run--->sndvol32.exe and <enter>

Hope this helps. No need for Regedit. :-D Bazza

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Getting the window to appear isn't the problem. Making the microphone control default to non-mute is the problem.

As soon as he dials a number, the microphone mutes automatically. This is wholly undesireable.

The rest of the problem is that he is 80 years old and not as computer savvy as he thinks he is. The workaround is to have the window open and then uncheck the mute box after the send button is hit. Getting him to remember to do it is quite another thing.

I guess that i could just make a batch file to run the Skype program and open the volume control at the same time but the Skype program stays resident.

This is just one of those crappy problems we run into occasionally.

4. bigbazza

If you run the Shortcut I suggested, does it automatically have a tick (checked) in the Mute box? You could then untick (uncheck) it. Bazza

5. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

That's the workaround.

If he makes a call, the checkbox automatically gets checked as soon as he presses the send button. He then has to uncheck it.

If he hangs up from that call and starts another, the checkbox once again automatically gets checked as soon as he presses the send button.

If he makes ten calls, he has to uncheck the box ten times.

I have tried the Skype account on my computer and it does not exhibit this anomaly.

I am running XP sp3 and I believe he is running XP sp2. Maybe I should do the upgrade on his unit to see what happens.

6. bigbazza

Lots of luck. :) Sounds like a real PITA. Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds