How dod I boot computer from usb flash drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by semenoff1948, Dec 13, 2009.

1. semenoff1948

semenoff1948 Private E-2

How do I boot computer from usb flash drive?

Please make steps easy and understandable. Also, I am on Windows XP home edition and I do not have installation CD's. My computer came with no CD's.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

First off you will have to check in your BIOS (key/s to press flash up briefly at boot to enter the BIOS, its different for many pcs, eg, could be ESC, DEL, F2 etc)

Then check the Boot menu and Boot Device Priority (could be named differently) for the boot order (1st boot device, 2nd boot device etc) this allows you to boot from CD, HDD so check USB is an option, if it is not then you wont be able to boot from USB.

What PC model or make if from Dell, HP etc or what Motherboard make and model is this?

3. semenoff1948

semenoff1948 Private E-2

Microsoft Windows XP
    Home edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Dell Dimension DE051
    Intel (R)
    Celeron (R) CPU 2.66GHz
    2.66 Ghz, 1.50 GB of Ram

145 GB total size.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to press something like F12 at startup to get into the BIOS. Then you need to look at the boot options. Not all computers support booting from a USB device. If your does not, then you can not boot from a USB flash drive.

Your computer came with a hidden recovery partition that will get the computer back to the way it was when it left the factory.
    Of course, if you do this, you will lose all your files, installed programs and windows updates done since the computer was new.

5. semenoff1948

semenoff1948 Private E-2

Hold up. I just want to replace or repair some missing files. I don't want to go back to factory mode or settings. Also, yes my computer can go into boot mode that's not the question. The question was how. Also, when I press f2 it did it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds