How important is 3rd generation vs. 4rth generation Intel?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by conceptualclarity, Nov 25, 2013.

1. I hate my present computer and want to get a laptop that will have good processing for years to come.

I don't know anything about the significance of which Intel generation. Is 4rth generation necessarily better than 3rd generation?

Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    32-bit
    Service Pack 3

Dell DIMENSION DIM2400
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
    x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    2.05 GB of RAM
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV
    Graphics Controller, 64 Mb
    Hard Drive Size 114.4GB
    Free Space was 35.8GB; now under 20GB because after backing up My Documents on Google Drive, Google Drive has duplicated the whole darn thing on my hard drive :(
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0G1548
    Antivirus : Webroot Internet Security

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I haven't researched this in depth; however I remember hearing that the 4th gen Intels draw less power, resulting in longer battery life.

3. Does that end up making the 4th generation processor less powerful in computing, or is it just as powerful?

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Since there are several CPUs in both the i5 and i7 famalies, your best bet is to compare the models you're considering at

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

It is not a matter of being more or less "powerful". It is a matter of efficiency in terms of power consumption. That is, it can perform the same amount of "work" while consuming less power from the wall (or battery). A 3rd gen CPU will do the same amount of "work", but waste more power in the form of heat.

If you (the user) keep your system cool and clean of heat trapping dust, there is no reason to expect this CPU will last any longer than that CPU.

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The Haswell's (4th gen.) actually run hotter than their older counterparts; where they're most energy-efficient is at idle, which, for many users on modern multi-core computers, is where they spend an awful lot of time.

A bonus with the mobile 4xxx CPU's is that they do have better graphics built-in.

Intel's Ark is the place to get the specs, 'direct' comparisons are difficult though; here's a closely matching mobile i3 v3 vs v4:
    Intel® Core™ i3-3120M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)
    Intel® Core™ i3-4100M Processor (3M Cache, 2.50 GHz)

Intel Core i3-3120M (PGA) vs i3-4100M

Note that when they say 'x' uses less power, most reviews are referring to the benchmarks, ie. when the CPU's are working hardest.

7. Digerati

From what I have been reading the heat issues with the Haswells has primarily been when overclocking. As noted in this Anandtech review, power consumption is less, thus battery run time is up. While heat may be higher when pushed, performance is increased as well.

That said, PC cases are often challenged to keep the innards cool. Due to the compact size, notebook cases are even less capable. So I might be concerned with a Haswell in a notebook, if it will be used for heavy tasking.

8. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes, Bill, the extra heat produced by Haswell under heavy loads (~12% in your example for ~13% more work) does make 'clocking more difficult.

For mobile purposes, it mostly depends on how good the OEM's are at building a platform that can dissipate that extra heat efficiently.

9. Digerati

That's a HUGE part, for sure. But since notebook fans drawn in heat trapping dust along with the cool air, I contend it mostly depends on the user keeping the system clean (and perhaps cool with a cooling pad). Sadly, in the maker's desire to make their notebooks thinner and lighter, user maintenance is hardly ever a consideration. And system cleaning is a major preventative maintenance requirement to manage heat. This is why I am in a constant battle with "marketing weenies" who market notebooks as "gaming machines" and "desktop replacements". The designers can pack the power inside those tiny cases, but not the cooling, or user access to clean. :(

Sadly, with the decline of the PC and push to notebooks and handhelds, I fear I am fighting a losing battle.

10. Well, I've decided to stick with the PC now. I have no interest in handheld.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds