How long does your laptop take to charge?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Nexus_, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

Or how long should it take to charge?

When the battery is extremely low or dead, the charge light is orange.

Then about 45 mins -1 hr after it starts blinking blue, finally after 15 minutes of that it turns a stable blue.

Nearly all laptops that i owned or seen usually blink when charging and turn off when battery is fully charged.

This laptop however doesn't turn off its charging light or i can't tell when its fully done charging.

I have left the laptop charging for 5 hrs but i assume that's too long already still the light does not turn off. What is a normal charging time ?

2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I assume all brands and models of laptops are different. I have a Asus and there is a red lite when the power cord is plugged in and a green battery light that blinks every few seconds as long as it is charging. I think it will totally recharge in less than two hours, but I have never timed it, and it keeps a charge for four to five hours under normal use.
    There is a lot of contradictory information out there on how long to charge and at what % you should start to recharge, and if you damage the battery by letting it charge over night. I have left it overnight a couple of times just because I forgot about it. Makes me think it might depend on the type of battery you have.
    Sorry that is not more helpful.

3. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I have owned laptops for over a decade, and I have always left them plugged in unless I'm somewhere there isn't a readily available outlet. The "damage" it does to the battery apparently takes place if you use it longer than the 5 or so years I typically keep a laptop.

Mine, if fully drained (like, it turned itself off drained), typically takes about 3 hours to fully charge. It takes ~6 hours to die after it's fully charged, depending on what I'm doing. I've got an HP Pavilion dv7.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Mine takes an hour. You can't really accurately judge by other machines, as the battery size, and size of chargers will differ.

For instance, there are 60,90, and 120w chargers out there (mine is 120w).

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah I'm the same, depends on which laptop or tablet I have and what size and power the battery/charger is.

Generally my 3 portable devices, netbook, laptop and tablet PC take between 1hr to 2hrs to fully charge from dead.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds