how many wireless items can my wireless router handle at one time??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcduke, Sep 12, 2011.

1. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

I have a belkin wireless router that also has connections for 4 wired connections. I think I have to leave the first plug connection open for having a wireless connection for my laptop. Will the router handle more then one wireless device at a time, lilke 2 wireless computers?

2. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

Yes, it should do - I have a D-Link DIR-855 and I often have my desktop connected and 2 laptops running wirelessly at the same time. And you don't need to leave one port unconnected either, wireless will still work even if all 4 are populated.

3. mcduke

mcduke Corporal

That's good to know, thanks.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Just remember that the wi-fi will die(or seem so) if everyone's on at the same time, irregardless of how good your connection is.

5. dave.m

dave.m Private First Class

I have a Belkin router with my PC wired to it but two laptops are wireless and also a wireless printer. My brother also had his mobile 'thingy' connected wirelessly last week to download a game for his grandson and everything was working fine.

dave

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't think that's true.
    I'm running an old Linksys from 2004 and I have Cat5e cables in the 4 plugs as well as running two netbooks wirelessly from this router. (Yes we have too many computers in our home!)

7. dumpystig

dumpystig Private E-2

Hmm... I don't think that's true - at least in my case it isn't. I forgot that I also have 2 mobile phones that connect automatically whenever I'm at home, and I've never had problems with throughput on any device.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds