How much memory needed to run DeFrag?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ulrichburke, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ulrichburke

ulrichburke Private E-2

Dear Anyone.

I've an ASUS Asrock K7541GX mobo, XP Pro SP3, 1gig DDR SDRAM, AMI BIOS, about 250gig hard drive spare, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard. The hard drive is a fairly new one, it's a MAXTOR 300gig IDE drive that used to be in its own caddy box, but the box adaptor blew, couldn't get a replacement so it ended up as my comp's main internal drive!

So I wanted to defrag my hard drive. I went to Accessories, Tools, Defrag and it came up 'This program is too big to fit into memory' in a black DOS window (O.K., I know XP isn't supposed to have DOS but if it walks like a duck...)

That's worrying, because I'm sure I've defragged the old drive fairly often without getting that error message. I've tried DEFRAG 3 times, restarting the computer between tries, and I'm still getting that message.

Does this mean I've got corrupt memory, so there isn't enough working memory left to run Defrag? I've been having oddball things happen like programs saying they don't have enough memory (PagePlus DTP program's started saying that, as was Nero, which I uninstalled anyway because I preferred Image Burn - not to be confused with Image TOOL burn which I know only works with Nero!) Image Burn works perfectly happily.

If you think it IS corrupt memory, how do you test memory to find out which stick - I've got 2 sticks - it is, can't find anything to do that! I know using a third-party defragger might be a workaround, but I'm more worried about the root cause of the memory error message.

Yours hopefully

Ulrichburke

2. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

Take out one stick and see if it runs if not switch it and take out the other stick.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds