How much ram does Windows 98SE support?

Discussion in 'Software' started by tricemierius, Aug 23, 2004.

1. tricemierius

tricemierius Private E-2

I have windows 98SE with Syntax K7SV400 Motherboard SV400 , AMD 2500, I currently have 512 ram on it and bought another 512 stick they are both Kingston KVR333/512R. The memory were bought at seperate times and the memory chips are not identical but the ratings are. Individually they both work in this motherboard and before I upgraded to a different motherboard for my good computer I had 2 x 512 kingston hyper X PC4000 running win XP Pro and it work fine. So is there a limit windows 98 will recognize?

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Win 98 does in fact have RAM limit of 2 GB, but as there is a bug in
    the memory management there may be problems when you install more
    than 512 MB.

Microsoft claim in this article that more than 512MB of memory "can make a system [Windows 98] highly unstable". http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/6401.asp#110

However, I would refer you to Snakefoot's page Tip 29 and the Microsoft articles for further information: http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/win9x/tips.html

What problem do you get with both memory chips in?

3. tricemierius

tricemierius Private E-2

Well i found 98SE Service pack 1.5 I just installed it to try the defragger and holy cow does it defrag fast.
    It will boot to what I am gonna call a second WIN98 splash screen and the image is really distorted and wont go past that it even rebooted once it will boot in safe mode and says in properties that i had 1024 ram.tomorrow I will try the second stick and see if that fix worked or not.
    thanks for the reply Max snakefoots tips are a good read.

4. tricemierius

tricemierius Private E-2

That un-official Win98SE service pack 1.5 did the trick!!!!
    If it wasn't for all the MajorGeeks that really know what they are doing I and many like me would be stuck and have to pour more money into M$.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds