How much upload speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hankyknot, Sep 19, 2007.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

How much bandwidth (upload speed) do I need if I want to have 40 users connecting to a Windows 2003 Terminal Server via the net. The only back and forth is going to be keystrokes and screes shots but I have no idea where to find out how much bandwidth I would need.

An advice, pointers would be appreciated.

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

I'm not an expert, but unless the server is hosting a program that needs real time updates, then the bandwidth issue becomes one of convenience and not necessity. For instance, many game servers, need updates to occur fairly rapidly at about 50K per user. This is just to keep all the players current data-sets in-sync. Simple uploads, on the other hand could be handled with 2k per user, and although it would be slow if all the users were simultaneously transferring graphics files, it would still work quite well.:)

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Terminal server is a remote desktop type system so yes, it would be hundreds of users using bandwidth to remote run apps on a server. Please make sure we read compelete posts to ensure quality answers.

4. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Soooo is 50k per user a realistic figure or a conservative one?

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I believe thats a bit high for a user, but im not postive.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Are we talking 50 kilobytes, or kilobits?

If we are talking kilobits, you are talking slightly better than dial up; and that really wouldnt be efficient for a business user.

Then, you gotta look at the issue of QoS, do you have a way of limiting each user to just that, and not taking more bandwidth than their quota allows?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds