How often do you create Restore points?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Apr 16, 2006.

1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

How many do you keep?
    Once you have a restore point you are happy with, do you delete all others?
    When do you create restore points?
    Each new installation of program/s, weekly/monthly or whenever you think of it?

My reason for asking is that I am installing a lot of "Keeper" and "Testing" programs on my new laptop to get it where I want it to be. A recent restore point has saved my bacon when, for some reason, my laptop refused to closedown, unless I pressed the power button until it closed. Not the way you should do it, of course. The restore point I have created earlier that day worked and my PC is back to 18seconds to shutdown after I click on "Turnoff". Your views will be welcome to help me formulate a proceedure for my housekeeping. Bazza

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Hi!
    I create restore points before I install anything and after I make sure everything is well with my puter.
    I always turn off system restore after I've run all my scans on Sunday(That's MY schedule) and turn it back on and create a restore point knowing I'm clean as a whistle and all is well.
    Sometimes I stop and create a restore point just because my puter is running A-OK and I want to keep that wonderful feeling.
    Maybe I abuse System Restore. ;)

3. bigbazza

Toni, thanks for your contribution. Your idea of creating a new restore point after your Sunday housekeeping is a good one. I've been thinking of doing a weekly restore, at least. Bazza

===

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

At least once; every single day when I start Windows, I use a program called Tweaks and Tools for Windows - which initiates its start-up screen after each reboot [and/or start up] and it also allows me to NAME each Restore Point immediately. The process takes about 10-15 seconds and is far faster than a normal SYS Restore and more efficient than hunting down the SYS Restore folder operation.

Sometimes even many times more than that first daily restore point - but I have at least two 120-160GB drives in each PC machine that I use; so there is plenty of room on the systems for these multiple restore points is not really a problem space-wise. Having to reinstall hundreds of programs is most definitely a major headache and I try to avoid it if that's possible.

How many do you keep?
    It depends upon how many fresh installs or uninstalls I do that day. But I always try to keep at minimum of 5-10 old restore points if that's possible; especially while updating using Windows Update. My hobby is testing out new freeware and shareware apps and utilities, so I probably install and/or uninstall at least a half to a dozen apps/utilities per week. I'm always downloading, installing and uninstalling new programs and utilities so I really rely on having a restore point prior to and after installs and uninstalls – just in case something goes wrong.

Not necessarily. Before deleting them, I use ERUNT as well as another utility called DriverGuide Toolkit [which incidentally was a great bargain at only 20 bucks!]. These two have saved my PC System a number of times.

When do you create restore points? Each new installation of programs, weekly /monthly or whenever you think of it? All of the above including prior to even going to the windows updates webpage. Even though Windows Update actually creates a restore point; I always set my own restore point anyways - prior to even going to the website - because sometimes the install goes VERY wrong or the update installs half-way [or worse - freezes my system right in the middle of the process] and sometimes the restore point that MSW Update creates actually can do more harm than good.

This is especially true with major updates like Service Releases and Upgrades to previous MS software. After the system reboots I use WinUpdates List to verify that everything went ok. After that - I usually clean out the old temp files and dead registry files using CCleaner as well as a relatively new freeware product called Eusing Free Registry Cleaner which leaves the registry quite spotless after using it.

My hobby is testing out new freeware and utilities, so I probably install and/or uninstall at least a half to a dozen apps/utilities per week. I'm always downloading, installing and uninstalling new programs and utilities so I really rely on having a restore point prior to and after installs and uninstalls – just in case something goes wrong.

I know all of this seems like a lot but after a while; the steps actually become pretty routine and probably adds up entirely to the amount of time it takes to percolate a fresh pot of coffee! :)

Good Luck!

5. Clark_Kent

Clark_Kent MajorGeek

For me never use it, i use norton ghost so don't need to.....

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Leave it on auto for the most part as it creates a RP on WUs and most major software installs, but may do one before any install of something I'm testing or I think may not go well.

How many do you keep?
    Min amount of restore points as if too old they are of no use, too many things will have changed on my pc for them to be useful.

Yes, once I am satisfied that I have a good Image of the HD with TI I will delete all but the last one.

When do you create restore points?
    Each new installation of program/s, weekly/monthly or whenever you think of it?
    Whenever there is a need, most major backups I use the below,

Ditto, but subsitute Ghost or Acronis TI, in which I keep a rolling 3 current images of OS drive, always do one before any software test or unknown software to me, but at least 1 a week.

7. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I'll have to agree with Halo. Windows creates alot of restore points on its own, and its just prudent to create one if you're anticipating trouble.

Personally though, I rarely use the things. I keep my system partition so small that I can format in a jiffy if things go wrong, and I keep my personal files on the larger partition. That coupled with a proper "off-site" backup, and I should never lose data.

8. bigbazza

Thanks, Clark_Kent, Halo, Mada_Milty and Compuable for your takes on Restore Points, especially Compuable for the comprehensive reply below. All replies have certainly given me some choices to mull over. I've saved this thread and will form a plan of attack (or defence really).;) Bazza

===

9. bigbazza

Compuable, went looking for Tweaks and Tools for windows. Found it on MG, but the link has expired. Haven't come across this before on MG, despite 7000 downloads. Finally downloaded it from another site. Noticed that it hasn't been updated for 2-3 years. Got v1.72 as it appears to be the latest.

10. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Compuable went looking for Tweaks and Tools for windows. Finally downloaded it from another site. Noticed that it hasn't been updated for 2-3 years. Got v1.72 as it appears to be the latest. May I suggest that you give SlickRun a try. << bigbazza

I like SlickRuns a lot as well; in fact I like all of the Bayden Systems utility plug-ins and other freeware tools especially FaveCave which allows you to store your IE links online; easily sync with other computers. :)

It's true that Tweaks and Tools for Windows hasn't been updated from v1.72 but I don’t mind that because I really like the current interface. It has many useful tweaks and it does a lot more than just allow the user to speed up the System Restore process.

For instance I really like Ad banner and pop-up blocker and using automatic memory optimization, your RAM is constantly monitored. If a certain level of utilization is exceeded, the memory is optimized so that without any interruption - you always have the necessary RAM available for your tasks. The Internet Optimizing connection dialog offers options that allow users speed quickly up your Internet connection considerably. The performance & hardware processor tweaks" dialog contains options that can optimize your operating system to suit your CPU’s particular processor.

Side Note: When it comes to program "updates" in general; often times program or utility "UPGRADES" are great and useful, however I find that most of the time so-called "UPDATES" of numerous shareware programs are usually negligible or mostly "eye candy." They often seem to be only created by the programs' developer simply to move up the dates their "daily notice rankings" up on the list on sites [like MG] that offer links to these programs.

Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds